Newsgroups: comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit
From: d...@netcom.com (Oz Dror)
Subject: timezone function
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1993 18:50:12 GMT

I need to implement the bsd unix timezone function in system V (SCO UNIX)
does anyone have nay ideas.

Thanks,

--
NAME   Oz Dror, Los Angeles, California
SMAIL  d...@netcom.com

Newsgroups: comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit
From: egg...@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert)
Subject: Re: timezone function
Sender: use...@twinsun.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1993 03:13:55 GMT

d...@netcom.com (Oz Dror) writes:

>I need to implement the bsd unix timezone function in system V (SCO UNIX)
>does anyone have any ideas.

My advice is ``don't''.  Timezone names are ambiguous.  E.g. `CST'
might stand for US Central Standard Time, or Australian Central Summer
Time, or China Standard Time, or Cuba Standard Time, or Chile ...
well, you get the idea.

But if you really want a time zone name for some reason, then there are
ways to get it.  I don't have a copy of SCO handy, but perhaps you can
invoke `localtime' and look at the resulting tm_zone or _tm_zone field.

If that doesn't work, you can try getting a copy of the Arthur David
Olson time zone code, available via anonymous FTP from
elsie.nci.nih.gov (128.231.16.1), in the ~ftp/pub directory:

	-r--r--r--  1 ado         91953 Jan  8 07:01 tzcode93.tar.Z
	-r--r--r--  1 ado         44313 Jan  8 07:01 tzdata93.tar.Z

Compile it with -DTM_ZONE=_tm_zone, invoke its `localtime' and look
at the resulting _tm_zone field.