From: kil...@eisner.decus.org
Newsgroups: vmsnet.decus.lugs,comp.org.decus
Subject: The DECUS U.S. Chapter National LUG Organization reorganizes!
Date: 23 Feb 93 03:43:18 GMT

                               The World is Flat
                                      or
                             Reorganizing the NLC

We asked ourselves, "How can we better serve our LUG customers?  What would
make life easier and better for the volunteers at the local and national
level?"  And, finally, "How do we improve services and still maintain good
representation?"

The answers took a lot of time and soul-searching, but we think we came up
with a great solution - United, we provide!  The best analogy to our new
structure would be a typical city government. The new LUG Advocates are the
city council with district representation.  The XMT, which is made up of the
NLC Chair, Vice-Chair and Staff Interface, is the office of the mayor.  The
new Functional Teams are the departments that deliver the city services and
have replaced the regional structure.

Why did we do this?  Since the LUG Council's meeting of February 1992 in
Hartford there has been an ongoing effort to make the NLO a customer-driven
organization.  As a result of the September 1992 LUG Chairs meeting in
Orlando, an action list was established of approximately 30 items based upon
input from the LUG Chairs.  In response to both the enhanced direction of the
NLO and the tasks at hand, both now and in the future, the LUG Council
realized the need to do something in order to be a more responsive structure.
The regional structure has been eliminated and replaced with a new
function-based structure which now gives each LUG up to 8 contact points
within the NLC.  Although this may sound like a lot of contacts, the new
structure breaks up the old bottlenecks and allows for direct and quick
communication.

The highlights of the reorganization are as follows...

	 Each LUG will elect a "LUG Advocate" to the NLC.  Unlike the old
         Regional LUG Coordinator (RLC) system the LUG Advocate will not be
         responsible for providing services.  The job of LUG Advocate is to
         represent the LUGs on the NLC.  The LUG Advocate is also to act as the
         "customer service" representative for the LUGs and facilitate the
         resolution of any communication or organizational issues.  There will
         be approximately 4-5 direct LUG Advocates.  Each LUG will have a
         specific LUG advocate they will elect to represent them.  The LUG
         Advocate will represent approximately 25-35 LUGs. In the past the RLC
         position was viewed as a killer position.  Under the new structure
         this position will most likely require a time commitment on the same
         scale as running a large LUG.  The LUG advocates along with the Chair,
         Vice-Chair, and Staff interface will select all the positions on the
         National LUG Council (NLC) and will vote on all strategic NLO policy
         issues.

	 The Executive Management Team (XMT) will continue to be the NLC Chair,
         Vice-Chair, and Staff Interface.  The XMT will have the responsibility
         for the tactical operation of the NLO.  The XMT will nominate all the
         "Functional Team" positions which will be approved by the NLC.  In
         general, the XMT will have the responsibility to facilitate the
         execution of the strategic direction of the NLO.  The XMT will also be
         the NLO's primary representative to the rest of the DECUS
         organization.

	 There will now be 7 "Functional Teams".  The 7 teams are:
	 _Leadership Development,
	 _Budget
	 _Structures
	 _Events
	 _Symposia
	 _Communications, and
	 _3rd Party Relationships

	 Each team will facilitate providing services to the LUGs.  Each team
         will have 2-4 team members.  Each team will have a team leader who
         will be a non-voting member of the NLC.  A complete description of the
         Functional Teams will be published at a later date.

This change accomplishes a significant number of good things for the LUGs.  It
flattens the organization and creates a direct service path between the
functions and the LUGs.  It allows them to maintain strong representation on
the NLC.  It creates volunteer jobs that are far more reasonable than what we
have had in the past.  And finally, rather than having teams and expertise
that may benefit just one region, everything is now consistent and available
nationally.

A transition plan is being developed by a task force and the new structure will
be in place by July 1, 1993.
--
DECUS -User Driven...
       Future focused on the art of delivering multiplatform computer technology

Jeff Killeen - DECUS U.S. Chapter NLC Chair | Email:...@eisner.decus.org
The NLC is the national council for DECUS's Local User Groups - come join us!