Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
From: Dennis Cheng-Zen Yang <den...@solar.csie.ntu.edu.tw>
Subject: How about differnt name for  Minix ?
Sender: use...@udel.edu (USENET News Service)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1993 07:02:12 GMT

As I saw many posting about 286 Unix-like OS here, I found that
even Coherent has 386 version now, Minix only has official 86/286 version.
Yah, I know that Bruce had already written patches for 386.
I know that AST want to make an OS running on low-end computer
such as 8088 XT to let much much people can play around a UNIX-like
environment.

But why can we not enjoy different levels of Minix ?
Though 286 can execute 86 code, 386 can execute 286 and 86 codes,
why can we not enjoy an official Minix truly and purely for 386?

In the product line of Minix, we can have

	. Minix86/286 - supporting 86 mode and 286 protect mode
	                just as current Minix PC version.
	. Minix386    - support 386 modes, virtual memory, socket
	                communication and windowed environment.
	                We can now utilize the feature of 386,
	                enjoy nicer and more friendly environment.
	. MinixMac    - As macMinix now.
	. MinixAta    - As Minix Atari version now.
	. MinixSparc  - Running on SparcStation.
	. MinixMips   - .......
	. MinixHp     - .......

Therefore, we can take Minix from a very low-end machine to very high-end
machine. We can learn and play around from a novice to an expert.
We can choose different Minix as with our computer.
We can use that, teach with that, research with that, play game of that

--
Dennis Cheng-Zen Yang                    Inter: den...@solar.csie.ntu.edu.tw
Computer System Lab.                     Tel  : 886-2-3630231 ext 3016