Newsgroups: comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit,comp.unix.bsd,comp.os.linux,
comp.unix.questions,comp.os.mach,comp.unix.solaris
From: c...@alouette.sce.carleton.ca (Curtis Hrischuk)
Subject: Unix close for 486 - commens requested
Sender: ne...@cunews.carleton.ca (News Administrator)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 15:20:12 GMT

Hi.  I am looking for comments about using 80486 PCs as Unix boxes.
Before the flame throwers come out, here is the reason:  I am in an
acedemic environment that runs a large amount of simulations.  Rather
than have a $40K workstation run 10 simulations, it would be faster to
run the simulations on 10 80486 PCs (and more reliable).

To achieve this, there are some functions that are necessary:
- Transparent NFS.  Should be able to access files on the PC just like
any other NFS connected workstation.
- Use gcc or g++ compiler, and other GNUish tools.  If it came with
its own compiler even better.
- Remote login capabilities, so that users could remotely login and
start batch simulation jobs.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what this means in terms of
kernel capabilities:  Is TCP/IP networking necessary? ...... If you
could provide some comments about this, please do.

This brings us to the question of hardware - what are typical
requirements for Unix (clones+) for 80486 platforms?  Your experience
is invaluable.

I will summarize the comments and repost.

Thank you for your time.

Curtis
| Curtis Hrischuk          | Boundaries of Science:                        |
| c...@sce.carleton.ca      | 1) How did I get here?                        |
| Carleton University      | 2) Why am I here?                             |
| Ottawa, Canada, K1S-5B6  | 3) What happens when I leave?                 |
| Ph  (613) 788-2600 x1762 | "The proof is almost identical to the previous|
| FAX (613) 788-5727       | proof and hence omitted here."(actual quote)  |