From: bd...@gag.com (Bdale Garbee)
Newsgroups: info.bsdi.users
Subject: XFree86-2.0 Binaries for BSD/386 1.0
Date: 2 Nov 93 18:08:37 GMT
Originator: dae...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

I've been happily running the 16-color VGA server from XFree86-2.0 on my
Toshiba T4500C for about a day and a half now.  By popular demand, I have made
this server binary, my config file, and a tar/gzip of my entire /usr/X386
tree that resulted from the build available for ftp.

Look on col.hp.com, in misc/bsdi.  X386.tar.gz is about 15.5Meg, and unpacks to
something like 33meg.  XF86_VGA16.gz is the server executable for 16-color VGA
including "generic" VGA cards, and Xconfig.gz is a config file that uses the
VGA16 server and PS/2-compatible trackball widget shipped with the T4500C.

The big tar-ball contains servers for S3 accelerated, SVGA non-accelerated,
monochrome (including generic VGA, SVGA and Hercules cards), and the previously
mentioned 16-color VGA.  I don't care about the 8514 or ATI (Mach) servers, so
did not build them.  The tar-ball also contains clients, fonts, include files,
man pages, and so on.  It does *not* contain clients from outside of the 'mit'
tree, nor does it include 'xv' which BSDI for some reason ships in the
mit/clients source directory?

Hope this is useful/amusing to someone other than me.  I have only tried the
16-color VGA server so far, I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who fires up
the S3 server before I get around to it in a week or two.

The XFree86-2.0 source tree explicitly supports BSD/386 1.0, and built with the
stock C compiler without incident or any tweaking at all outside of setting up
the site config file the way I wanted it.

Bdale