Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.hpux
From: beil...@porphyry.fsl.noaa.gov (Bryon Beilman)
Subject: Time Zone on HP
Sender: n...@fsl.noaa.gov (USENET News System)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 22:46:33 GMT

I have read the FAQ, and spoken to numerous support people but have not gotten
a "Real" answer about HP-UX and the time zone variable.

If you unsetenv TZ, the default time zone is EST. I would think that it's more
appropriate to default to the default system time zone.  This, apparantly is
hard coded into the OS.  Here's what I have done.

1) Modified the kernel to make the offset from GMT to 0. { I want to use GMT }
2) Set the TZ variable in /etc/profile /etc/src.sh /etc/src.csh as well as
   local environment variables.

This is fine and Dandy, except that no matter what one does, if the TZ variable
is not, set, then it defaults to EST, which is NOT an acceptable solution.

?? Any ideas out there, or knowledge of when HP is going to "fix" this feature.

> I have read the FAQ, and spoken to numerous support people but have not gotten
> a "Real" answer about HP-UX and the time zone variable.

> If you unsetenv TZ, the default time zone is EST. I would think that it's more
> appropriate to default to the default system time zone.  This, apparantly is
> hard coded into the OS.  Here's what I have done.

> 1) Modified the kernel to make the offset from GMT to 0. { I want to use GMT }
> 2) Set the TZ variable in /etc/profile /etc/src.sh /etc/src.csh as well as
>    local environment variables.

I think you forgot /etc/rc.  If you set it here then I (believe) your
problems should go away.  At least, it worked for me the night before
last on a system I was configuring.

BTW, HP "tradition" seems to be that the TZ variable is set by default
to wherever we manufactured the system.  At least this has been the case
for the last 6 or 7 years.  Thus we get 800s set to PST and 700s set to
EST.  I've always figured this simplified testing, which is by and large
done by non-computer-hacker-types who probably relate better to local
time.  I know of no "official" explanation however.

--arne

DISCLAIMER:  The above is offered as-is, with no commitment or endorsement
by the Hewlett-Packard Co.