From: murp...@eisner.decus.org (Paul Murphy)
Newsgroups: comp.org.decus
Subject: DECUS US Announces Future Direction
Date: 6 Dec 93 18:38:21 -0500

                   DECUS U.S. CHAPTER BOARD OF DIRECTORS
               ANNOUNCE FUTURE DIRECTION FOR THE ORGANIZATION

                  Group's Transformation Process Stresses
              Advocacy, Member Services, Electronic Services,
                     and Enhancement of National Events

DECUS '93/SAN FRANCISCO, CA - December 6, 1993 - The Board of Directors of
the U.S. Chapter of DECUS, the Digital Equipment Computer Users Society,
this weekend announced plans for the future direction of the Chapter.
Board members outlined specific actions which will be implemented as part
of the Chapter's ongoing transformation program, designed to ensure the
relevancy and the vitality of the organization.  The announcement was made
to Chapter members during DECUS '93/San Francisco, the group's semiannual
national seminars, symposium and trade show event.

Stressing the primary objective of promoting the unimpeded exchange of
information for Chapter members, the Board's plan places increased emphasis
on areas including: advocacy; member services; electronic services; and
enhancement of the Chapter's national events.  The plan also calls for a
restructuring of the Chapter's leadership.

Board members said that they are researching mechanisms for the
implementation of their plan which covers the 1994 - 1995 time period and
lays the foundation for the future direction of the organization.

"This is a very exciting time for us.  We are charting a course for the
future which emphasizes addressing the changing needs of our members,"
noted Chapter President Margaret Knox.  "Although the plan we are putting
forth calls for a cultural change from the way we have operated in the
past, the Board strongly believes that the actions we are taking will best
serve the needs of our members by growing the opportunities for the
exchange of information sharing.  This is key to achieving success in the
rapidly changing IT arena."

Under the action plan put forth by the Board, the Chapter will fund and
support formal programs to advocate member requirements before the group's
"cornerstone" vendor Digital Equipment Corporation; vendors operating in
the Digital-focused arena; standards bodies; and industry consortia.  The
Chapter will also actively seek and develop mutually beneficial
relationships with professional organizations, and other users groups.

Recognizing the increasing importance of electronic communications, the
Board announced plans to negotiate reasonably priced Internet access for
all members, and provide services via the Internet such as program
libraries, information archives, DECUS communications, and member forums.

Board members stated their commitment to growth in the area of member
services, focusing on improving and building new options for the exchange
of informal dialog and peer-to-peer interaction amongst the membership.
Products such as a member directory and other professional development
tools are being considered.

The Chapter will focus its event support on an annual DECUS University
program and semiannual modified national event programs.

DECUS University, a seminars program offering attendees a choice of 30 -
40, one- and two-day offerings, over a four day period, will continue in
its present structure.  The program allows attendees to choose several
offerings from a wide array of seminars to build a personalized curriculum
based on their individual needs.  The next DECUS University will be held
March 19 - 22, 1994 in Irving, Texas.

The national event programs, comprised of seminars, a symposium, and the
DECUS Trade Show; will undergo a number of enhancements designed to best
address the information needs of the Chapter members, Information
Technology professionals.  The events will be designed to reflect the
current concerns of attendees and actual technology available. DECUS
'94/New Orleans, May 7 - 12, 1994, will follow the theme of Managing
Complexity: Succeeding in a Multivendor, Multiplatform World.  The core
program will offer technical tracks on Virtual Networks; Client/Server and
Transaction Processing; Application Development; and Avant-Garde
Technologies.

The Board's plan also calls for a restructuring of the Chapter's
leadership, shifting business responsibilities to a smaller base of
Board-appointed, volunteer groups and a professional staff.  A larger base
of volunteers will now focus on the technical content exchange, which
according to Knox is the "heart and soul" of the organization.

A token membership fee will be instituted to differentiate between DECUS
"customers" and those who are committed to the Chapter and to whom the
Board is accountable.

The DECUS U.S. Chapter is an association of Information Technology
professionals interested in Digital and related products, services, and
technologies.  The Association's purpose is to promote the unimpeded
exchange of information, thus helping its members and their organizations
to be successful.  The Chapter provides each member with professional
development, forums for technical training, mechanisms for obtaining
up-to-date information, member advocacy, and opportunities for informal
disclosure and interaction with professional colleagues of like interests.

                                    ###

DECUS, the DECUS logo, and Digital are trademarks of Digital Equipment
Corporation.
--

	Paul Murphy - DECUS U.S. Chapter | Email: murp...@decus.org