From: gav...@spades.aces.com (Ehud Gavron)
Newsgroups: comp.org.decus
Subject: Proposal:  A NEW organzation to SUPPLANT DECUS
Date: 8 Dec 1993 15:14 MST
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41

Recently the DECUS US chapter has shown itself incapable of providing
adequate services, pleasing its members, or making a profit.

In a fit of self-dismissal, DECUS paid officials removed the volunteers
but kept their salaries intact.

Maybe it's time we changed this TRULY-non-profit organization into
nothing and created a NEW organization run by people who know what
they're doing... and aren't in bed with DEC.  Maybe we can even get
an organization that dates MicroSoft, Sun, DEC, and others on an
equal footing... and is beholden to none.

Please respond in News.  I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's tired
of seeing an 8,000 people conference with breakfasts, nice hotels,
Wednesday night activies, and QUALITY become a mockery of a mini-
conference...

Ehud

--
Ehud Gavron        (EG76)
gav...@aces.com

p.s. None of this is meant at Jeff Killeen personally, nor at any
     other person.  I just think DECUS has been killed by the same
     lack of brains that is killing Digital.

> In a fit of self-dismissal, DECUS paid officials removed the volunteers
> but kept their salaries intact.

A point of clarification - this plan was driven by the 6 elected volunteer
directors, the 2 volunteer delegate, and the paid Digital delegate.  No one
from Digital pressured this.  It was $$$$ that drove it.

> Maybe it's time we changed this TRULY-non-profit organization into
> nothing and created a NEW organization run by people who know what
> they're doing... and aren't in bed with DEC.  Maybe we can even get
> an organization that dates MicroSoft, Sun, DEC, and others on an
> equal footing... and is beholden to none.

Isn't this already COMDEX and INTEROP? - except for the non-profit part

> Please respond in News.  I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's tired
> of seeing an 8,000 people conference with breakfasts, nice hotels,
> Wednesday night activies, and QUALITY become a mockery of a mini-
> conference...

Nice hotels continue, the Wednesday night activities will return in Anaheim
(i.e. Disneyland), free breakfasts won't be coming back.  I also want to see
audio taping and full sack sitter services back.  I am not cooking the books
but between the Symposia, Seminars, and Tradeshow over 7,000 folks are
attending the event this week.

However isn't the real issue not the logistics but the content and the
opportunity interact with your peers?  If so what content and peer interaction
opportunities are missing and what needs to be improved?  There is a whole new
volunteer management team place.  This team has none of the handicaps the old
team that kept them from implementing rapid change.  Now is a good time for
input and it wanted.

--
Jeff Killeen - DECUS U.S. Chapter - Chapter marketing  | EMAIL:...@decus.org