From: smi...@eisner.decus.org
Newsgroups: comp.org.decus
Subject: More info...
Date: 22 Jan 94 13:14:09 -0500

          <<< TOPAZ::$255$DUA108:[NOTES$LIBRARY]BOARD_PUBLIC.NOTE;1 >>>
                  -< Welcome to the Board_Public conference >-
Note 175.33               New Orleans Program Committee                 33 of 34
TOPAZ::NEWKIRK "Debbi"                               26 lines  22-JAN-1994 13:02
                                -< My view... >-
    Speaking as a member of the program committee, but not on behalf of the
    committee, let me tell you that not all points in that announcement had
    concensus and we are still challenging some of the 'assumptions'...
    That message is a result of conversation during a conference call that
    denied our request (the program committee) to have authority over who
    could or could not have access to the system.

    There is an assumption on the part of the board that SIGs/MIFs will
    continue to provide services to the content of the symposium... only it
    must *all* happen through the chair.  This is a perfect opportunity for
    someone who thrives on power to be able to control and impact a lot of
    things.  This is also a perfect example of 'single point of failure' in
    a 'mission critical' function - which I thought was *exactly* what the
    BoD did NOT want for volunteers.

    With SIGs on the way out and MIFs on the way in, things are not getting
    attention because of the confusion and uncertainty.

    Back in the "old days" we knew we could count on the last minute
    submissions because we had a lot of faith in the system and it always
    worked.  I'm not at all convinced that the sessions will suddenly
    appear... but surprise me!  In the meantime, I know that I will be
    wearing many hats as I work behind the scenes to solicit content and
    speakers... to change the process so the program committee can do its
    job effectively... to identify the variety of tasks that will need
    attention...

>          <<< TOPAZ::$255$DUA108:[NOTES$LIBRARY]BOARD_PUBLIC.NOTE;1 >>>
>                  -< Welcome to the Board_Public conference >-
>================================================================================
>Note 175.33               New Orleans Program Committee                 33 of 34
>TOPAZ::NEWKIRK "Debbi"                               26 lines  22-JAN-1994 13:02
>                                -< My view... >-
>    Speaking as a member of the program committee...
>
>    With SIGs on the way out and MIFs on the way in, things are not getting
>    attention because of the confusion and uncertainty.

I've just recently tuned in to this particular argument, and
frankly, I haven't a clue what's going on.  Evidently there'e been
a major change in the DECUS administration, organization, etc.
SIGs on their way out?  So what's a MIF?

I'm not politically involved in DECUS, I'm just a member who
attends about every other session with the hope of taking home
reliable information about Digital's products, services, state of
being, and general direction.  It's also a good opportunity to get
together with other folk who are trying to do the same things I'm
doing, compare our approaches, get some advice, and maybe give
some, too.

I'd been considering doing a session this year - I think there are
quite a few people out there who are interested in some of the
things we're doing and how we're doing it.  I've never presented a
session before - how will these changes affect me?

-dec

 doug cadmus, systems anarchist		|
 computerized business systems 		|	File Not Found...
 internet: dca...@stonehenge.win.net	|	   Fake It?
 compuserve: 72050,2214			|