Newsgroups: comp.org.decus
From: h...@xirtlu.zk3.dec.com (Jon "Maddog" Hall)
Subject: Proposal for UNIX Developer's Conference at Anaheim DECUS
Sender: use...@decvax.dec.com (Usenet News System)
Date: Sat, 28 May 1994 00:40:28 GMT

Two DECUS symposiums ago, there was an NT developer's conference.  I am in the
process of proposing a UNIX Developer's conference at Anaheim in December of
1994.

My current proposal is:

	o Three full-day seminars:

	  + UNIX Systems Administration in a Heterogeneous UNIX Environment
	  + Programming for Portability
	  + OpenVMS/UNIX Coexistance

	o Three week-long tracks (23-28 hours) of sessions that expand on these
		topics

The seminars would be taught by paid presenters, who would be expected to have
professional presentation materials, and eight solid hours of information.
People coming out of the sessions should expect to be wringing with sweat
over the amount of information (not data) hurled at them.

I am proposing that Digital marketing would underwrite the hiring of these
professionals, and help market these seminars (and DECUS in general) in UNIX
trade publications.

The week-long tracks would map and expand what was covered in the seminars, but
to a much greater depth than could be covered in only eight hours.  Some of
those sessions will be two or three hours in length.  The tutorial speakers
would point to the sessions that cover certain topics as they went along.

In all of the tracks we will stress to the session developers that they do
more than just make up session notes.  We should have bibliographies, and
reprints of particular articles of interest.  I will propose that Digital
marketing underwrite the duplication expenses of any of these articles
(including copyright expenses).

Finally, BoFs would be set up to discuss some of the topics discussed in
each day's seminars.

The tutorial and session outlines below are the joint work of myself,
Chip Carew (an employee of mine) and Richie Holstein (a DEC employee who did a
lot of work between the hours of 1700 and 2200 one night).  They are not final,
and questions/additions/changes are welcome.  Sharon MacDonald, the UNIX SIG
counterpart, is taking these sessions and creating CFPs out of them, which we
will then distribute to the USG engineers, UNIX SIG steering committee and
DECUS membership at large to seek volunteers to develop.

I will expect the DECUS board to be most generous in its allocation of
compensation with regards to session fees for people doing two or more of these
most intense sessions.

We will continue to flesh out the tutorials, sessions and CFPs.   Please let
me know if you think I am on the right track, and if you have any additional
ideas.

I will be posting the ideas for the three groups of "Tutuorials and Streams"
as separate postings, so people can comment on each in a separate thread.

This is a full-court press.  I welcome suggestions and comments.
--
Jon "maddog" Hall			UNIX Software Group, Base Product Mktg.
Mailstop ZK03-2/U15			UNIX SIG