Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 09:36:34 EDT
From: Tony <IO20...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc
Subject: Where can I get time zone data???

I need to write a program (UNIX ansi C) to convert from one time zone to
another...with places specified by lat/lon.....any ideas???

Thanks.
Tony

Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gis,comp.unix.misc
From: egg...@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert)
Subject: Re: Time zones from lat/lon data??????
Sender: use...@twinsun.com
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 20:34:27 GMT

Tony <IO20...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> writes:

> If given a lat/lon...I need to find the time zone...any ideas????

There's no good free database to do this that I know of.
It's a harder problem than it sounds.  To get an idea of its scope,
you might FTP the latest version of Arthur David Olson's time zone
database from elsie.nci.nih.gov in pub/tz*.

>> If given a lat/lon...I need to find the time zone...any ideas????

>There's no good free database to do this that I know of.
>It's a harder problem than it sounds.  To get an idea of its scope,
>you might FTP the latest version of Arthur David Olson's time zone
>database from elsie.nci.nih.gov in pub/tz*.

There was a quite large time zone program data file posted to
the net a couple of years ago.  I lost my copy in a hard disk
crash.    I recall it was originally from the U.S.Navy - and
had information on virtually any place in the world.

--
Bill Vermillion - b...@bilver.oau.org | bill.vermill...@oau.org

> > you might FTP the latest version of Arthur David Olson's time zone
> > database from elsie.nci.nih.gov in pub/tz*.

> There was a quite large time zone program data file posted to
> the net a couple of years ago.  I lost my copy in a hard disk
> crash.    I recall it was originally from the U.S.Navy - and
> had information on virtually any place in the world.

Most likely that was Olson's database.  He quotes some old data from
the US Naval Observatory, but his database is now considerably better
than the Navy's was.