From: firstname.lastname@example.org (David E. Wexelblat)
Subject: XFree86[TM] 3.1 progress report
Message-ID: < email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 20:08:36 GMT
Approved: firstname.lastname@example.org (Matt Welsh)
XFree86[TM] 3.1 Status Report
Release currently planned for mid-to-late September, 1994.
- X11R6-based, including shared libraries for SVR4, Linux,
FreeBSD and NetBSD.
- XIE, PEX, and LBX supported.
- HiColor (15/16-bit) support for Mach32 and S3 servers.
- HiColor (15/16-bit) and TrueColor (32-bit) for P9000 server.
32-bit color means 24-bit color aligned on 32-bit boundaries.
Modes with 24-bit packed pixels are not supported.
New hardware support:
- Weitek P9000 server, preliminary testing for Diamond Viper VLB/PCI,
and Orchid P9000 boards.
- IIT AGX server. Preliminary testing for AGX-014, AGX-015, and
AGX-016 chipsets, with a variety of RAMDACs.
- S3 864/964 support in S3 server. Preliminary testing for just
about every board we could locate that uses one or the other.
- Support for S3 GENDAC clock/RAMDAC.
- Western Digital WD90C33 support, including acceleration.
- Cirrus 5434 accelerated support.
- SVGA driver for MX68000/MX68010
- SVGA driver for AL2101
- SVGA driver for Cirrus CL6420
- SVGA driver for Video7
- New ATI SVGA driver
Note that 'preliminary testing' implies that we've begun testing
with this hardware. The 3.1 release will come with a listed of
tested boards, as part of the AccelCards database.
- Dual-headed vga2/mono and vga16/mono servers.
- Updates to the vga16 code, including a wider range of banking
- Incorporate Screen Saver extension into base server.
- Support for "green" monitor screen savers in S3 and SVGA servers.
Items in progress; may or may not make 3.1:
- ET4000/W32 accelerated server.
- TrueColor (32-bit) support for S3 server.
- Radically altered configuration file format.
Items in progress for 3.2 (or later releases):
- Dynamic loading of drivers and extensions.
- Mach64 support.
- Number Nine I128 support.
- Next-generation S3 chipset support.
- Compaq QVision accelerated support.
- Interactive monitor timing adjustment via X-based client.
- XFree86.Org domain is coming on-line:
- Mail addresses to @XFree86.Org are functional
(as well as @physics.su.oz.au)
- ftp.xfree86.org is up, and has the current software release
as well as all the documentation on The XFree86 Project, Inc.
- www.xfree86.org is coming on-line, slowly. Volunteers are
- We are continuing to develop our relationships with hardware
vendors. Negotiations are underway with several vendors with
whom we have had difficulty in the past, and relationships that
were already in place are being strengthened through commitments
- We continue to be in need of funding. The corporation is a
tax-deductible charitable organization, and welcomes contributions.
- Two additions to the XFree86 Core Team have been made:
- Robin Cutshaw has joined us as our "Server Czar", to
oversee the rapid development of the family of XFree86
- Marc Evans has joined us as our "Industry Liason", to
help foster contacts with industry.
The current XFree86 Core Team:
Robin Cutshaw < robin@XFree86.Org>
David Dawes < dawes@XFree86.Org>
Marc Evans < marc@XFree86.Org>
Dirk Hohndel < hohndel@XFree86.Org>
Rich Murphey < rich@XFree86.Org>
Jon Tombs < tombs@XFree86.Org>
David Wexelblat < dwex@XFree86.Org>
Email to < Core@XFree86.Org> reaches the whole team.
The current Board of Directors and officers of The XFree86 Project, Inc:
David Dawes, Secretary
Dirk Hohndel, Vice-President
Glenn Lai, Director
Rich Murphey, Treasurer
Jim Tsillas, Director
Jon Tombs, Director
David Wexelblat, President
Email to < BOD@XFree86.Org> reaches the board of directors.
Contacting The XFree86 Project, Inc:
- For generic questions about XFree86:
- For information on getting involved with XFree86 development:
- For information on The XFree86 Project, Inc:
Those vendors of XFree86 derived products are requested to contact
our industry liason to be learn about a special promotion offer. For
more information you should contact:
Marc Evans < Marc@XFree86.Org>
+1 603 635 3857 (voice/fax)
David Wexelblat < email@example.com> (703) 430-9247 Fax: (703) 450-4560
AIB Software Corporation, 46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160, Dulles, VA 20166
Mail regarding XFree86[TM] should be sent to < firstname.lastname@example.org>
"What happened to the 'Kaboom'?
There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering 'Kaboom'!"
-- The Martian, some Bugs Bunny cartoon
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: email@example.com
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.