Newsgroups: comp.unix.unixware
From: vl...@byteware.com (Jim Vlcek)
Subject: Novell de-emphasizing UnixWare
Sender: vl...@byteware.com (James Vlcek)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 03:15:06 GMT

I'd been away a week in Germany on business, and was suprised to come back
and find such a muted response to the 12 September ComputerWorld article
detailing Novell's retrenchment.  Among other shufflings, Novell is
back-burnering "desktop" UnixWare and DOS 7.

It's not entirely clear just what the withdrawal of "desktop" UnixWare will
mean - does it, for example, spell the end of the Personal Edition, at
approximately $150 the best entry-level buy for a PC UNIX?  Given the
realities of this business, I'd have to imagine that one would only be
fooling one's self to think otherwise.

UnixWare itself does remain in certain key positions in the Novell strategy,
as part of the "Super NOS" that will compete with NT a couple of years down
the road.  Clearly, Novell is aiming UnixWare at the large-server sector -
the last bastion of all UNIX vendors as Microsoft steadily seizes the
technical workstation market.

(Well, with the exception of SCO, which has clearly maintained its position
as _the_ medium-size-Intel-UNIX vendor.  A local Novell reseller at a recent
trade show told me that the few UnixWare sales he'd made were essentially SCO
replacements, which didn't suprise me.  But UnixWare has clearly lost this
battle.)

What sets Novell apart from the other "big UNIX" vendors is that Novell
doesn't sell boxes, which are what really make the money for IBM, HP, ATT
GIS, and Sun.  Sure, some can be convinced to license UnixWare for their
boxes, but how much money can be made this way?  (Consider: how much money
did USL ever make for AT&T?  And also consider that Novell has already sold
off the UNIX source rights to Sun, and will likely do the same with IBM and
HP as well.  Further consider how rapidly AT&T GIS is getting into bed with
Microsoft and it's NT product...)

Novell sold 35,000 UnixWare licenses in 1993 and expects to sell twice that
in 1994.  (I'm skeptical)  This compares to 600,000 NT licenses in that OS's
first year, about 300,000 Solaris licenses in 1994, or about 200,000 SCO
licenses.  I can only shake my head.  If Novell had a history - like
Microsoft - of sticking by its products until they succeed, I might think
UnixWare had a chance.  As it is, I suspect that Novell considers UNIX to be
an albatross, and will steadily reduce its effort in the UNIX direction.

--
Jim Vlcek                                                            I came,
vl...@byteware.com                                                    I saw,

: I'd been away a week in Germany on business, and was suprised to come back
: and find such a muted response to the 12 September ComputerWorld article
: detailing Novell's retrenchment.  Among other shufflings, Novell is
: back-burnering "desktop" UnixWare and DOS 7.

There goes Jim, starting troube again...  :-)

: It's not entirely clear just what the withdrawal of "desktop" UnixWare will
: mean - does it, for example, spell the end of the Personal Edition, at
: approximately $150 the best entry-level buy for a PC UNIX?  Given the
: realities of this business, I'd have to imagine that one would only be
: fooling one's self to think otherwise.

No, several articles misinterpreted Frankenburgs statements.  The PE will
continue to be available, supported, sold, etc.  His comment and other comments
he has made on this subject specify that UnixWare PE will not receive as much
marketing emphasis as our Application Server.  The Desktop of UnixWare is now,
has been, and will always be an essential part of the product.   Ease of
administration is one of the elements of UnixWare that makes it friendly
for businesses.  UW 2.0 will greatly improve ease of use of our desktop and
our installation.

Someone is sending me a statement of clarification from Mike DeFazio
(EVP of Novell's Unix Systems Group) about the PE.  But in the meantime:

The Personal Edition will remain a product.

: (Well, with the exception of SCO, which has clearly maintained its position
: as _the_ medium-size-Intel-UNIX vendor.  A local Novell reseller at a recent
: trade show told me that the few UnixWare sales he'd made were essentially SCO
: replacements, which didn't suprise me.  But UnixWare has clearly lost this
: battle.)

I think that you are over-stating here, Jim.  The battle rages on.  What
points you to the conclusion that anyone has won or lost anything?  The
Unix market in general is growing rapidly, more and more of our resellers
are coming on line with UnixWare, and we are about to release a product
that will be easier to use and install, will scale extremely well and
will be focussed as THE high-performance database/communication/application
server on a platform that is accelerating in performance and price/performance
at a tremendous rate.

: What sets Novell apart from the other "big UNIX" vendors is that Novell
: doesn't sell boxes, which are what really make the money for IBM, HP, ATT
: GIS, and Sun.  Sure, some can be convinced to license UnixWare for their
: boxes, but how much money can be made this way?

It is exactly because we don't sell hardware that we are in an excellent
position.  Economies of scale will favor us as extreme competition in a
commodity hardware market makes more powerful boxes less expensive.
Proprietary hardware companies are already showing the stress.

: (Consider: how much money
: did USL ever make for AT&T?

answer: some.

: And also consider that Novell has already sold
: off the UNIX source rights to Sun, and will likely do the same with IBM and
: HP as well.

This is speculation.

: Novell sold 35,000 UnixWare licenses in 1993 and expects to sell twice that
: in 1994.  (I'm skeptical)  This compares to 600,000 NT licenses in that OS's
: first year, about 300,000 Solaris licenses in 1994, or about 200,000 SCO
: licenses.  I can only shake my head.  If Novell had a history - like
: Microsoft - of sticking by its products until they succeed, I might think
: UnixWare had a chance.  As it is, I suspect that Novell considers UNIX to be
: an albatross, and will steadily reduce its effort in the UNIX direction.

Novell has an operating system in it's 4th generation with netware.  Also
a TCP/IP suite for DOS, OS2, Mac.  I'm sure you would find a trail of
discontinued/never-released products on most decent sized software houses.
UW will soon scale better, cost less and outperform most of its peers when
UnixWare 2.0 hits the streets.

gfd

: --
: Jim Vlcek                                                            I came,

--
+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x
George Demarest			| "large systems, whether the government or