Newsgroups: biz.sco.general
From: ras...@sarnode.saratov.su (Rashid Karimov)
Subject: SCO new release-what to expect from?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 1994 08:09:24 GMT

	Hi netters.

Well, the subject says it all. What can we expect from
Open Server 4.0 ( or SCO 94/95 ? :) ?And what we are expecting ?
I realize this should be treated as huge SCO's trade secret,
but just in few words ?
As for me , I'd like to see more than 64K inodes per FS,
faster networking, some leading edge net additions , like
multicasting , multi routes ( per destination )support (OSPF).
And , may be , some SCO authorized book on SCO inners .
As part of standard distribution , or add-on product ...

I'm pretty satisfied with current release. Really stable ,
perfect HW support,well documented. And good support .
IMHO , the access to SCO ftp site is only required thing :)
( I don't mention here tons of bussiness apps  ).

BTW , what the net-community thinks about current FS implementation ?
I think it's fast on _fast drives & powerful PC's.
Does any1 here knows if BSD's FS is copyrighted ? I think its
concepts of distributed inodes/blocks areas are worth to be copied/
followed .

SY
RK

>Well, the subject says it all. What can we expect from
>Open Server 4.0 ( or SCO 94/95 ? :) ?And what we are expecting ?
>I realize this should be treated as huge SCO's trade secret,
>but just in few words ?

I second your request.  I am still on 2.0 because I did not see much in
3.0 which excited me.....

>As for me , I'd like to see more than 64K inodes per FS,
>faster networking, some leading edge net additions , like
>multicasting , multi routes ( per destination )support (OSPF).
>And , may be , some SCO authorized book on SCO inners .
>As part of standard distribution , or add-on product ...

Maybe add these too-

* Veritas file system?

* X11R6

* New release of Motif

* COSE compliant GUI environment

* WABI

* An X11 GUI version of sysadmsh

I don't want much, do I?  :)
  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |
  | Director/SysAdmin | Information Systems  |    m...@taylor.infi.net       |

> >Well, the subject says it all. What can we expect from
> >Open Server 4.0 ( or SCO 94/95 ? :) ?And what we are expecting ?
> >I realize this should be treated as huge SCO's trade secret,
> >but just in few words ?
>
> I second your request.  I am still on 2.0 because I did not see much in
> 3.0 which excited me.....
>
> >As for me , I'd like to see more than 64K inodes per FS,
> >faster networking, some leading edge net additions , like
> >multicasting , multi routes ( per destination )support (OSPF).
> >And , may be , some SCO authorized book on SCO inners .
> >As part of standard distribution , or add-on product ...

I am not going to say much about this, so please don't pester me,
but if you visited the Technology Demo stage at SCO Forum last August
you would have seen demonstrations of some of these things.  (Since they
were on public display I will repeat them here, but otherwise not
discuss them ... yet).

> Maybe add these too-
>
> * Veritas file system?

A log based hi-throughput filesystem that supported more than 64k inodes,
and fast fsck.

> * WABI

That was demonstrated.

> * An X11 GUI version of sysadmsh

This was also demonstrated.  In fact, far more could be administered
with the new GUI stuff than just the stuff supported by the current
sysadmsh.

---
Larry Philps, Technical Strategist                | "The Internet treats
SCO Canada Inc.             voice: (416) 960-4012 | censorship as a malfunction
130 Bloor St. W., 10th Floor  fax: (416) 922-2704 | and just routes around it"
Toronto, Canada M5S 1N5     email: lar...@sco.com |         - John Perry Barlow