From: A...@immedia.ca
Newsgroups: comp.software.international
Subject: Time zones
Date: 14 Nov 1994 14:39:23 -0500
Sender: n...@athena.mit.edu

----------
I thank very much Mark Brader, from SoftQuad, for his very interesting
reference article from Richard B. Langley, on UT and UTC semantics, which
rights the inaccurate info I gave earlier. I was not able to get that
information so acurately before. So it will be part of my electronic references
from now on.

Now as promised, I post here the time zone abbreviations standardized in Canada
for both English and French in CAN/CSA-Z234.4-89 standard (I have added notes
and corrected minor typos still in the standard/ the abbreviations and numeric
and alphabetic time zones are correct in the standard, what I corrected would
not change any technical content).

               Table A2 - Canadian Time Zones Abbreviations
                          (Abr<e'>viations des fuseaux horaires pour le Canada)

               Standard Time       Daylight Saving Time     ITU Designator

Hours West     French    English   French    English
of UTC         HN-       -ST       HA-       -DT

2-1/2          -         -         HAT       NDT            -
3              -         -         HAA       ADT            P
3-1/2          HNT       NST       -         -              -
4              HNA       AST       HAE       EDT            Q
5              HNE       EST       HAC       CDT            R
6              HNC       CST       HAR       MDT            S
7              HNR       MST       HAP       PDT            T
8              HNP       PST       HAY       YDT            U
9              HNY       YST       -         -              V

HN stands for "Heure normale"/HA stands for "Heure avanc<e'>e"
ST stands for "Standard Time"/DT stands for "Dailight saving Time"

Prefix/Suffix meaning (note from ALB: I added the appropriate prepositions and
                       articles "du, de l', des, de" for non-French speakers,
                       so that the information of the standard be completed
                       for them - this data is not in any version of the std.):