From: s900...@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU (Craig Macbride)
Subject: Timezone silliness
Date: 1995/06/09
organization: Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia.
nntp-posting-user: s900387
newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.programmer

Would anyone like to hazard a guess (be as cruel as you like) as to
why some software (eg. VSI*FAX) fails to use the routines within SCO
to manipulate dates and times, but instead reads $TZ directly from
the environment and then makes totally incorrect assumptions about the
contents, such as the following?

* That all timezones are of form "XXXNXXX".
* That N above is never negative.
* That all timezones are in the Northern hemiphere.
(etc)

--
 _--_|\	    Craig Macbride	<cr...@rmit.edu.au>
/      \		I am Pentium of Borg.

content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
precedence: bulk
resent-from: m...@xenitec.on.ca
organization: [resent by] The SCOMSC gateway and Propagation Society
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc

Craig Macbride writes:

> Would anyone like to hazard a guess (be as cruel as you like) as to
> why some software (eg. VSI*FAX) fails to use the routines within SCO
> to manipulate dates and times, but instead reads $TZ directly from
> the environment and then makes totally incorrect assumptions about the
> contents, such as the following?
>
> * That all timezones are of form "XXXNXXX".
> * That N above is never negative.
> * That all timezones are in the Northern hemiphere.

How is a timezone in the Southern Hemisphere any different, apart perhaps
from its abbreviation?

--
Jean-Pierre Radley   j...@jpr.com     XC custodian    Sysop, CompuServe SCOForum

Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

> How is a timezone in the Southern Hemisphere any different, apart perhaps
> from its abbreviation?

Daylight savings time would be during a different set of months,
wouldn't it?

Bela Lubkin writes:

> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
>
> > How is a timezone in the Southern Hemisphere any different, apart perhaps
> > from its abbreviation?
>
> Daylight savings time would be during a different set of months,
> wouldn't it?

So it would. How do SCO time routines deal with that, quite aside from the
initial question about the FAX program's timezone problems?

--
Jean-Pierre Radley   j...@jpr.com     XC custodian    Sysop, CompuServe SCOForum