From: da...@space.mit.edu (John E. Davis)
Subject: SLRN 0.8.7 released
Date: 1996/03/26
summary: Version 0.8.7 of slrn is available
organization: Center for Space Research
keywords: slrn newsreader slang s-lang
reply-to: da...@space.mit.edu
newsgroups: comp.unix.user-friendly,comp.os.linux.development.apps

Version 0.8.7 of the slrn newsreader is available from space.mit.edu in
pub/davis/slrn.  Slrn is also available in Europe at ftp.uni-stuttgart.de in
/pub/unix/misc/slang.

For images of slrn in action, see the slrn web page at
http://space.mit.edu/~davis/slrn.html.

The main new features in this release include a `configure' script to
facilitate building slrn under Unix systems and `thread selectors'. The
thread selectors allow one to move to any header visible on the screen with
one or two keystrokes.  More detailed changes follow below.

SLRN is an NNTP newsreader with the following features:

  * Runs under Unix, VMS, and OS/2
  * True referenced-based threading
  * Score (Kill) file support with scores that can be set to expire
  * Draws a colored thread tree using line drawing characters
  * Multiple server support
  * Multiple windows
     - Header summary window showing threads
     - Article window
  * Customizable
     - Keybindings
     - Colors
         For example, the default colors, say, using a color xterm such as
	 rxvt, shows the top status bar in blue on white, the author's name
	 in the header summary window as magenta on white, the thread tree
	 as red lines connecting subject titles, the window status lines
	 appear as yellow on blue, the article headers in the article window
	 are cyan on white, the quoted text appears as red on white, and
	 the body of the article appears as blue on white.
     - Server -> newsrc mappings
  * Built-in support for MIME
  * Smart screen updating
  * Online help which is also customizable
  * Automatic reconnect if server drops connection
  * Fast on slow modem connections.  It does not read the whole active file
     like many other newsreaders.
  * Compile with TERM support under Linux
  * XTerm mouse support with clickable buttons
  * Easy uudecoding of articles

Here is a brief list of changes/additions:

Changes since 0.8.6
0.  Under Unix there is a new `configure' script for building slrn.
1.  ``Header Numbers'' add for more efficient article selection.  This is
    enabled by default and may be disabled by adding

        set use_header_numbers 0

    in your .slrnrc file.  In addition, the color of these numbers may be
    controlled via something like

        color header_number "green" "white"

    The numbers appear at the left margin of the header window.  To goto a
    particular numbered header, e.g., 12, simply press `1' then `2' followed
    by RETURN, SPACE, etc...
2.  The function ``xpunge'' has been added for article mode.  The default
    binding of this function is to the `x' key.  It removes already read
    articles from the list.
3.  If slrn does not read the active file, then it will now attempt to use
    the `xgtitle' command to query the server for newsgroups matching a
    pattern.  (This affects the `L' key in group-mode).
Changes since 0.8.5
-1. New distribution structure
0.  Thanks to Jay Maynard (jmayn...@nwpros.com), slrn now runs under OS/2.
    Since this is the first OS/2 version, it should be regarded as ALPHA.
1.  New .slrnrc configuration variable: prompt_next_group.  If 0, slrn will
    not provide the opportunity to use up/down arrow keys to select the next
    group.  Instead, pressing a key that performs a goto next group action,
    e.g., the Next-Group mouse button, will simply put you in the headers of
    the next group in the group list.
2.  When the mouse is clicked on a button at the top of the display, the
    button will ``flash''.  The color that is used to simulate the flash may
    be specified by using, e.g.,

         set color menu_press blue yellow

    in your .slrnrc file.
3.  New groups are displayed with an `N' in the flags column.
4.  `ESC 1 L' will hide unsubscribed groups  (`L' with a prefix argument).
5.  The `?' key may be used in help mode to re-start help.
6.  OS/2 port thanks to Jay Maynard <jmayn...@admin5.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>.
    Note: this port is still considered to be in its alpha stage.
7.  slrn will nolonger run unless the user has a username and a FQDN.
8.  New article mode functions (Thanks to Alain.Kn...@imag.fr (Alain Knaff)):
      fast_quit                       % quit news reader from article mode
      skip_to_prev_group              %
    None of these function have default bindings.
9.  When replying, slrn will warn the user if the email address appears
    invalid.
10. New configuration variable:

       set use_metamail 0

    If non-zero, metamail will be called to process MIME articles that
    slrn does not support.

Changes since 0.8.4
1.  Small bug fixes (nothing major).
2.  Cosmetic change where one can more easily see the progress of the
    download of tagged articles.  In addition the server name is printed on
    the top status line.
3.  The `*' (toggle_header_tag) function has been changed.  If used on a
    collapsed thread, it will tag the entire thread.  In addition, after
    pressing `*', the pointer moves down one header.
4.  -m command line option forces XTerm mouse reporting to be turned on.
5.  When the mouse is enabled, ``buttons'' also appear on the top status
    line.  Simply click on them with the mouse.  Perhaps in the future,
    these buttons will become menus.

Changes since 0.8.3
0.  The slrn makefile has changed.  Now it asks for a location to put slrn
    object files and it asks for the location of the slang library file.
    The nice thing about this is that it is easy to compile slrn under
    multiple architectures.  The down side is that some makes will not work
    with the Makefile.  If your make fails, use Makefile.old.  Since I do
    not plan to continue support for Makefile.old, please look into
    installing GNUmake.
1.  .newsrc file is now created in mode where only user has read permission
    to it.
2.  If a prefix argument is given to the subscribe/unsubscribe commands, the
    user will be prompted for a group pattern which will be used, e.g.,
    pressing `ESC 1 s' and entering `*linux*' at the prompt will result in
    a subscription to all newsgroups of form `*linux*'.
3.  If a prefix argument is given to the `K' (create_score) function, the
    editor will be called to edit the score file-- no questions asked.
4.  New .slrnrc variable: query_read_group_cutoff
    Whenever slrn enters a group with `query_read_group_cutoff' or more
    unread articles in it, it will prompt for how many to read.  The default
    is 100.  If set to 0 or less than 0, slrn will not prompt at all, i.e.,

        set query_read_group_cutoff 0

5.  It is now possible to have articles automatically wrapped by adding 4 to
    the wrap flags value.  See the slrn.rc file.
6.  VMS changes: some patches added, ``makefiles'' fixed

Changes since 0.8.2
1.  If slrn cannot find a fully qualified domain name, it will not run.
    This name can be specified in the .slrnrc file so there is no excuse for
    not having one.  There are too many articles already floating around
    usenet with bad hostnames and I do not want slrn to contribute to this.
2.  Bug in authorization fixed
3.  Oops.  If one were editing a file from within slrn and the window was
    resized, slrn would re-draw the window!  That is fixed.
4.  article wrapping added-- press `w' in article mode to wrap/unwrap.  The
    variable `wrap_flags' may be used to control whether or not headers or
    quoted material is wrapped, e.g.,

        set wrap_flags 1    % Wrap headers
	set wrap_flags 2    % Wrap quoted material
	set wrap_flags 3    % Wrap headers and quoted material

    The default is to wrap everything (3).

5.  slrn may be started as in `slrn -h server.name:XXX' where XXX in an
    integer that represents a port number.

6.  `set sendmail_command' may be used in the .slrnrc file to specify an
    alternative mail program.  The default is:

          "/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t -oem -odb"

    See config.h for selecting a different default.

7.  ESC u in group mode may be used to Un-Catchup on a group.

--
John E. Davis                   Center for Space Research/AXAF Science Center
617-258-8119                    MIT 37-662c, Cambridge, MA 02139