From: Brian Ziel <bri...@sco.COM>
Subject: SCO's 64-BIT UNIXWARE DEVELOPMENT ON TRACK WITH RELEASE OF INTEL'S
MERCED(tm) PROCESSOR
Date: 1997/10/14
Sender: ed...@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.announce

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE	PRESS CONTACT:
	Brian Ziel
	SCO
	Tel:	408-427-7252
	Fax:	408-427-5418
	bri...@sco.com

SCO's 64-BIT UNIXWARE DEVELOPMENT ON TRACK WITH RELEASE OF INTEL'S
MERCED(tm) PROCESSOR

Successfully Runs on Intel's IA-64 Software Level Simulator, Completing Key
Phase for 64-bit Version of Leading UNIX System

SANTA CRUZ, CA (October 14, 1997) - SCO (NASDAQ:SCOC) today announced that
an initial version of a 64-bit SCO UnixWare system has been successfully
running 64-bit test applications on a simulated environment for the past
six months, completing a key phase of its ongoing 64-bit UnixWare product
development for the next-generation Intel processor which will be available
in 1999.

The Intel IA-64 software level simulator allows early development of 64-bit
operating systems and applications.

"Over the last year we've been working closely with Intel to help ensure
that our future operating systems are fully optimized for the Intel Merced
processor," said Doug Michels, SCO's CTO and executive vice president. "The
simulator tests we run are a key milestone that keep us on track to meet
that objective. Our 64-bit UnixWare operating system combined with the
Merced processor will allow us to move UnixWare into enterprise data
centers and bring high-volume, open systems economics to a market that has
been a proprietary stronghold."

SCO will ship a full 64-bit operating system that supports 32-bit and
64-bit applications, code-named Gemini II, concurrent with Intel's delivery
of the Merced processor.

"SCO has played a significant role in the early stages for UNIX software
development for the Intel Merced processor," said Stephen Smith, Vice
President, Microprocessor Products Group, and General Manager of Intel's
Santa Clara Processor Division. "Working with SCO in this early phase will
help ensure that their operating system will be ready and optimized when
the Merced processor is in production in 1999."

SCO's 64-Bit Technology This Year
SCO's recently announced a new SVR5 UNIX System technology and kernel that
is the foundation for its next-generation UnixWare operating systems. Set
for initial release for the IA-32 architecture at the end of this year, the
SVR5-based UnixWare release includes a host of 64-bit technologies to
enable a smooth migration of applications and data to IA-64 platforms. The
SVR5 kernel includes support for 64-bit file systems and implements 64-bit
libraries and commands. SVR5 compilers also support 64-bit APIs that will
enable developers to quickly develop 64-bit applications using standard SCO
tools for Intel's Merced processor.

"This program is vital to our ISV community," said Steve Spill, SCO's
director of Strategic Alliances. "We shall be able to provide them with
early access to a stable 64-bit environment - fully upward compatible with
our new SVR5-based UnixWare. This will ensure that full 64-bit systems will
be able to be deployed in high-end, mission-critical environments right
from day one."

Please see http://www.sco.com/products/gemini/path64/ for more information
about SCO's development of its next-generation 64-bit operating system.

About SCO
SCO is the world's leading supplier of UNIX server operating systems, and a
leading provider of client-integration software that integrates Windows PCs
and other clients with UNIX servers from all major vendors. SCO is
committed to bringing the Internet Way of Computing to business-critical
environments of all sizes. SCO Business Critical Servers run the critical,
day-to-day operations of large branch organizations in retail, finance,
telecom, and government, as well as corporate departments and small to
medium-sized businesses of every kind. SCO sells and supports its products
through a worldwide network of distributors, resellers, systems
integrators, and OEMs. For more information, see SCO's WWW home page at:
http://www.sco.com.
# # #
SCO, The Santa Cruz Operation, the SCO logo, UnixWare, and Internet Way of
Computing are trademarks or registered trademarks of The Santa Cruz
Operation, Inc. in the USA and other countries. UNIX is a registered
trademark of the Open Group in the United States and other countries.
Merced is a trademark of Intel Corporation. All other brand or product
names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or
services of, their respective owners.
Brian Ziel
Manager, Product PR
SCO Public Relations