From: m...@acs.itd.uts.EDU.AU (Jas (Matthew K))
Subject: Licensing charges for X11R6.4
Date: 1998/04/01
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

For those of you who havent heard, X11R6.4 is not free anymore. Some
people will be getting is free, but other wont and the language doesnt
appear to be very clear. If you wish to check out the details and the
like, wander over to

http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/ordering/x.price.list.htm

and have a look. I will leave the debate of the politics to others
more erudit and knowledgable than myself. But none the less I will say
this much, I am dissapointed. In the days when the likes of Netscape
release software for free it could hardly seem possible that something
like X could be turned for profit after so many years. One wonders if
this might have happened under the auspices of the X Consortium, who
knows?

I and probably many before and after me will call for the OpenGroup to
reverse this seemingly poor decision, or at the very least offer a
plausible reason for their actions. I for one await that day.

	  Matt