From: Mark <m-daw...@uchicago.edu>
Subject: Why do you hate AIX?
Date: 1998/12/23
Sender: n...@midway.uchicago.edu (News Administrator)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris

I am an AIX/Solaris Administrator at the University of Chicago.  I've
been working
with Solaris 2.x for the past year, and AIX for the past 4 years.  Most
of the admins
on campus are Solaris-specific, and the only unity we have is in our
common devo-
tion for Linux.

To get to the point, all I've experienced since I've been around Solaris
admins is
this irritating arrogance, and disdain for other flavors of UNIX,
particularly AIX.
I'm not generalizing about ALL Solaris admins, just the ones that I've
met.  How-
ever, I post to both comp.unix.solaris and comp.unix.aix, and I have to
admit that
I sometimes detect that same attitude in this particular newsgroup.

I hear snotty little remarks about the ODM, which, while admittedly
different, is
an optimization that allows for dynamic configuration of devices,
enabling much
less reboots or 'boot -r'.  It is also not  hard to understand or work
with once
time is taken to understand its function.  Also, while NT's Registry is
quite simply
a copycat of AIX's ODM, it's not nearly as functional, and is much more
prone to
error due to its complexity.  So, please, stop comparing the two.

I hear snotty remarks about the LVM, which is something that all Unices
would
benefit from implementing in the kernel, as does HPUX-10 and above,
instead of
having to get some third-party solution that costs and arm-and-a-leg to
achieve
similar functionality.  It, also, enables MUCH LESS down-time for common
disk
management tasks.

AIX's kernel, like Solaris's kernel, can be configured dynamically w/o
reboot,
although it is much easier in AIX (and I'm not talking about SMIT).  I
don't need
adb.  I can use command-line "no", "vmtune", "schedtune", and the like,
and for
the most part, will see changes immediately.  If I don't like my
changes, I can set
them back easily with the "-d" option for all of these commands.  These
commands
can be placed in startup files so that they survive reboots, so there's
no need of
/etc/system or /etc/master.  AIX's kernel, like Solaris's, is made in
such a way that
parameters only set high and low watermarks, since neiher OS uses static
tables.

AIX has a rich set of interfaces and commands to make both BSD and SysV
admins
feel reasonably comfortable when learning it.

Last, but certainly not least, is the SMIT thing.  I personally use SMIT
very seldom.
But it is a lifesaver/timesaver at times for very difficult tasks where
I would pre-
fer to spend most of my time concentrating on something else.  Then,
after comp-
leting the more important tasks, I could go back to the smit.log and
smit.script and
see how the command-line stuff goes.  True, you could almost do all your
admin
stuff with SMIT, but that's basically what all Unices are working toward
having in
their OS, in order to beat the "NT is easier to manage and more
user-friendly" ar-
gument that has been beating UNIX upside the head for years.

I know I've said a lot, but my whole point is that I like Solaris and
AIX, and I see
the strengths in both, as well as note the proprietary parts of both
that enhance the
functionality of the OS.  Different is not worse.  It's just different.

Dawson