List: netbsd-port-alpha
Subject: Linux/NetBSD speed comparison.
From: "T. Martin" <catfish () alltel ! net>
Date: 2000-07-18 4:07:20

Hi,
Fisrt I got one question, when booting NetBSD on the DEC3000 it comes up
into a sh and I can't find the place to fix it.
I did edit rc.conf so I can boot multiuser.

.... Later.

I'm impressed with NetBSD and speed. I have the DEC 3000/300 (150mhz)
running NetBSD and an AXPpci33 233mhz running Linux.
I have both boxes running setiathome.

Linux 233mhz Alpha 256k cache == 59 hr 17 min 58.9 sec
NetBSD 150mhz DEC 256k cache == 41 hr 06 min 19.0 sec
I guess I'll be installing NetBSD on the 233 next to see for certain if
its the OS (as I assume Linux seems really slow on it) or the motherboard
designs.

Thanks to all the developers.

Terry.

catfish: icq #20116127