From: juha_teuvon...@yahoo.com (Relational DBA)
Newsgroups: alt.solaris.x86
Subject: Did anybody try to build Solaris X86 from source?
Date: 28 Feb 2002 14:01:58 -0800

Hi,
I have downloaded Solaris source and the Forte C/C++ from Sun. I also
bought a book on solaris internals and I am planing to study how the
darn thing works. Can anybody point me at any resources on the
subject? Any experiences? My other question is why is it impossible
(according to Sun) to build Solaris with gcc? I haven't looked at the
code yet, so please excuse my ignorance if it's something really
obvious.

P.S. IMHO a successfull DBA needs to know the underlying operating
system well for tuning and etc.
----
The opinions belong to me, not my employers.

>I have downloaded Solaris source and the Forte C/C++ from Sun. I also
>bought a book on solaris internals and I am planing to study how the
>darn thing works. Can anybody point me at any resources on the
>subject?

You've got the docs, and that's it.

It's impossible to "build solaris from source" from the "foundation source
release". You can only build parts of it. Key components were not released.

> My other question is why is it impossible
>(according to Sun) to build Solaris with gcc?

it isnt.

>P.S. IMHO a successfull DBA needs to know the underlying operating
>system well for tuning and etc.

not THAT well. It is sufficient for DBAs to carefully read the many
"tune solaris for oracle" type documents out there.
Now, linux, on the other hand...

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

> It's impossible to "build solaris from source" from the "foundation source
> release". You can only build parts of it. Key components were not released.
Oops. It ain't good. I was under the impression that the whole darn
thing was there. I guess I misunderstood Sun. BTW, could you name a
few key pieces that are missing.

> > My other question is why is it impossible
> >(according to Sun) to build Solaris with gcc?
>
> it isnt.
Si I can build it with gcc? Cool!

> >P.S. IMHO a successfull DBA needs to know the underlying operating
> >system well for tuning and etc.
>
> not THAT well. It is sufficient for DBAs to carefully read the many
> "tune solaris for oracle" type documents out there.
I guess it's my curiosity and past experience in Unix system
programming that adds to it. I wrote an RPC server once, it was fun. I
used to be a developer, now that I am old, fat and lazy I became a DBA
:) I still write code, though...

> Now, linux, on the other hand...
Nah, I ain't no big fan of Linux. It has a bunch of issues.

From: phil...@bolthole.no-bots.com (Philip Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.solaris.x86
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:01:54 GMT

On 1 Mar 2002 09:49:25 -0800, juha_teuvon...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> It's impossible to "build solaris from source" from the "foundation source
>> release". You can only build parts of it. Key components were not released.
>Oops. It ain't good. I was under the impression that the whole darn
>thing was there. I guess I misunderstood Sun. BTW, could you name a
>few key pieces that are missing.

oh, small bits like one file from the disk internals modules. I think also
critical parts of 'ls' are not present.
but 99% of the source IS there.

>> > My other question is why is it impossible
>> >(according to Sun) to build Solaris with gcc?
>>
>> it isnt.
>Si I can build it with gcc? Cool!

well, let me rephrase that a bit.
You cant just type "make CC=gcc" and have it work :-)
You have to pick a specific module or program to compile,and then do a lot
of Makefile rewriting. It's not pleasant, but it's doable.

From: al...@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Coopersmith)
Newsgroups: alt.solaris.x86
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 01:38:37 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: al...@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Coopersmith)

phil...@bolthole.no-bots.com writes in alt.solaris.x86:
|but 99% of the source IS there.

99% of the source to the core OS (aka the SunOS bits) is in the free
source packages.  0% of the source to the rest (Xsun, CDE, OpenWindows,
etc.) is included in the foundation source packages.

Alan Coopersmith                              al...@alum.calberkeley.org
http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/           aka: Alan.Coopersm...@Sun.COM

From: juha_teuvon...@yahoo.com (Relational DBA)
Newsgroups: alt.solaris.x86
Date: 4 Mar 2002 11:57:54 -0800

First of all I would like to thank everybody for your responces. You
made a bunch of things a helluva lot clearer to me :)
Basically I would like to play around with Solaris source mainly for
my own education. I have reasonable understanding of the inner
workings of Unix and specifically Solaris, but I would like to improve
my skills there. I also have c and c++ coding experience, so it should
help. Now I understand that you can accomplish a lot in Solaris
without of touching the source code, however access to the source
should be educative and fun. For example I think that it's a must for
Linux kernel developers to read Solaris code.