From: vergence <imya...@mac.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.unixware.misc
Subject: Caldera stopped giving Free License :-P
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:12:49 +0900

If you have some free licenses,
please give me one.

thanks :-)

From: jbol...@caldera.com (John Boland)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.unixware.misc
Subject: Re: Caldera stopped giving Free License :-P
Date: 22 May 2002 01:35:46 -0700

vergence <imya...@mac.com> wrote in message news:<3CE99101.8020106@mac.com>...
> If you have some free licenses,
> please give me one.
>
> thanks :-)

Caldera has stopped providing Free Licenses for non-commercial
use because of abuse of the facility for commercial gain.

If you click on the old "Licenses" link on the Caldera web site you
are now taken to

http://shop.caldera.com/caldera/license.html

where we explain our reasons for withdrawing the facility.

John

> Caldera has stopped providing Free Licenses for non-commercial
> use because of abuse of the facility for commercial gain.
>
> If you click on the old "Licenses" link on the Caldera web site you
> are now taken to
>
> http://shop.caldera.com/caldera/license.html
>
> where we explain our reasons for withdrawing the facility.
>
> John

Terrific.

So now we're back to the dark ages where students and such will never
acquire Unixware experience, thereby cutting down on the potential
talent pool, cutting down on the number of apps available ...

Yada yada.

Makes even less sense than yanking the Itanium port without any clear
roadmap to 64 bit computing for the former SCO products in the future

           Caldera Authorized Partner
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (413) 714-2833
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122
           E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

> So now we're back to the dark ages where students and such will never
> acquire Unixware experience, thereby cutting down on the potential
> talent pool, cutting down on the number of apps available ...

You can still purchase discount media kits via the developer program
at:

http://www.caldera.com/developers/

> Yada yada.
>
> Makes even less sense than yanking the Itanium port without any clear
> roadmap to 64 bit computing for the former SCO products in the future

The roadmap for Caldera on 64 bit is Linux.
This makes sense to me.

JOhn

> > So now we're back to the dark ages where students and such will never
> > acquire Unixware experience, thereby cutting down on the potential
> > talent pool, cutting down on the number of apps available ...
>
> You can still purchase discount media kits via the developer program
> at:
>
> http://www.caldera.com/developers/
>
> > Yada yada.
> >
> > Makes even less sense than yanking the Itanium port without any clear
> > roadmap to 64 bit computing for the former SCO products in the future
>
> The roadmap for Caldera on 64 bit is Linux.
> This makes sense to me.
>
> JOhn

<sigh>

Thanks for confirming that UW/OU, not to mention OS5 is a dead product.

           Caldera Authorized Partner
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (413) 714-2833
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122
           E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

> > The roadmap for Caldera on 64 bit is Linux.
> > This makes sense to me.
> <sigh>
>
> Thanks for confirming that UW/OU, not to mention OS5 is a dead product.

OpenUNIX 8 and OpenServer 5 are far from dead products.
We have a new release of OpenUNIX 8 in Beta
currently and we are working on the next release of
OpenServer 5.

We will continue to sell and support these product lines on
IA32 (and compatible) architectures.

John

> > > The roadmap for Caldera on 64 bit is Linux.
> > > This makes sense to me.
> > <sigh>
> >
> > Thanks for confirming that UW/OU, not to mention OS5 is a dead product.
>
> OpenUNIX 8 and OpenServer 5 are far from dead products.
> We have a new release of OpenUNIX 8 in Beta
> currently and we are working on the next release of
> OpenServer 5.
>
> We will continue to sell and support these product lines on
> IA32 (and compatible) architectures.
>
> John

Well, Caldera may sell and support OU/OS5, but who else???

What hardware or large software vendor in their right mind will support
UW or OU - it's so obviously and end of life product now - no 64 bit
roadmap, despite SCO having been a founding member and at one time
having the only 64-bit on Intel implementation.

What reason would a *new* site pick OpenUnix? Linux sort of
compatibility?? Why not use Red Hat or even Open Linux for far less
$$$??

"It scales better than Linux"

Might be true for user counts over 150. But sites that large IMHO are
going to select HP-UX, AIX or Solaris over OU, all of which are
*actively* supported by the large scale data base vendors - and have
64-bit versions that are available now.

Even though 64-bit computing will not be a major part of the scene for a
couple of years or so, companies looking to the future will be selecting
OS's that are offering both 32 and 64 bit versions. And that of course
includes Linux - and Windows according to the latest FUD from M$.

But not *any* version of OU.

Here's another point: Caldera's revenue will be much less from OL than
from OU.

- And the capital market's are actively punishing companies that are not
making money.

Go figure.

           Caldera Authorized Partner
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (413) 714-2833
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122
           E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

> What hardware or large software vendor in their right mind will support
> UW or OU

HP/Compaq, IBM, Unisys, Oracle?

> What reason would a *new* site pick OpenUnix? Linux sort of
> compatibility?? Why not use Red Hat or even Open Linux for far less
> $$$??

Are you not answering one of the reasons why Caldera will not invest in
OpenUNIX on IA64 here?

> Might be true for user counts over 150. But sites that large IMHO are
> going to select HP-UX, AIX or Solaris over OU, all of which are
> *actively* supported by the large scale data base vendors - and have
> 64-bit versions that are available now.

Not true. We have many customers moving down from HP-UX, AIX and Solaris
on RISC to OpenUNIX/UnixWare because of TCO.

> Even though 64-bit computing will not be a major part of the scene for a
> couple of years or so, companies looking to the future will be selecting
> OS's that are offering both 32 and 64 bit versions.

1) I dont think that there are many companies looking to the future in
this way currently.

2) I dont think that IA64 will be interesting in terms of TCO for
the SMB market places for some time to come.

> Here's another point: Caldera's revenue will be much less from OL than
> from OU.

Agreed. But moving forward Caldera revenues from Linux will overtake those
of OpenUNIX. This does not mean that OpenUNIX is dead and it
does not mean that Caldera will stop investing in OpenUNIX. See:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020527/cgm014_1.html

for details of an upcoming conference call on future strategy.

John

> > What hardware or large software vendor in their right mind will support
> > UW or OU
>

> HP/Compaq, IBM, Unisys, Oracle?

Volume here? As a percentage, say?

And you are aware Unisys figured prominently in the anti-Unix web site
that was trying to lure Unix users into using Windows 2000/XP (and the
site was at first being hosted on a OpenBSD machine!)

And searching Oracles web site tonight brought some hits for Unixware
and the PRIOR version 8 as supported.

Zero hits for Openunix for any version. There is a Linux version for 9i,
though. Might even install and run, after a lot of work, under OU. Not
supported by Oracle I'm sure. Or have you heard otherwise?

I should note I'm not an Oracle user or developer. I've just constantly
ran into "Oracle supported" as a prominent item on corporate check lists
for new systems (that is if they don't out and out require windoze in
any RFP's!).

Also, it should be obvious that I'm an old time SCO reseller as to my
take on things.

> > What reason would a *new* site pick OpenUnix? Linux sort of
> > compatibility?? Why not use Red Hat or even Open Linux for far less
> > $$$??
>
> Are you not answering one of the reasons why Caldera will not invest in
> OpenUNIX on IA64 here?

And the reason someone would choose 32-bit OU over 32-bit OL is - ?

Probably the availability of 'your' mission critical application on one
or the other. But if there's an application that is only available on
UW/OU and not also on Linux I'd like to hear about it.

And the investment was *already made* by SCO prior to Caldera's
takeover. It just needed Caldera to see it through.

> > Might be true for user counts over 150. But sites that large IMHO are
> > going to select HP-UX, AIX or Solaris over OU, all of which are
> > *actively* supported by the large scale data base vendors - and have
> > 64-bit versions that are available now.
>
> Not true. We have many customers moving down from HP-UX, AIX and Solaris
> on RISC to OpenUNIX/UnixWare because of TCO.

Um, all those vendors have Intel versions also (Not sure about AIX -
they used to have an Intel port several years ago - I know they support
Itanium *now* ).

> > Even though 64-bit computing will not be a major part of the scene for a
> > couple of years or so, companies looking to the future will be selecting
> > OS's that are offering both 32 and 64 bit versions.
>
> 1) I dont think that there are many companies looking to the future in
> this way currently.

Fear of obsolescence is a powerful motivation in the marketplace IMHO.

> 2) I dont think that IA64 will be interesting in terms of TCO for
> the SMB market places for some time to come.

I agree. It will be several years before it matures.

> > Here's another point: Caldera's revenue will be much less from OL than
> > from OU.
>
> Agreed. But moving forward Caldera revenues from Linux will overtake those
> of OpenUNIX. This does not mean that OpenUNIX is dead and it
> does not mean that Caldera will stop investing in OpenUNIX. See:
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020527/cgm014_1.html
>
> for details of an upcoming conference call on future strategy.

What details? I see a puff piece on a scheduled conference call. And I
note that Red Hat is not participating for whatever reason.

I'm still waiting for Volution to be able to manage Windows desktops -
something promised for  summer 2001 in several of the Caldera briefings
I'd attended back in late 2000/early 2001.

> John

This is turning into an interesting discussion, John.

I hope you don't feel I'm picking on you - I'm just raising some points
that have been troubling me for some time now.