List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    DARPA cancellation
From:       Theo de Raadt deraadt () cvs ! openbsd ! org
Date:       2003-04-17 21:39:32
[Download message RAW]

FYI,

It has come to my attention that DARPA has cancelled the POSSE program
with UPENN, (sub OpenBSD & a bit for OpenSSL) for undisclosed reasons,
effective today, without any warning.

My suspicion is this happened because I made anti-war statements in a
Canadian newspaper article in the Globe & Mail, but I am not an
American citizen so I cannot claim to have free speech there (even
made "quote of the day").

In a phone call a few days ago it was expressed to me that there were
people inside DARPA and UPENN who were very uncomfortable with the
article, but I was not told specifically what upset them.

We have 60 developers flying in from around the world (they bought
their own tickets, non-refundable) for a Hackathon May 8 - 20, where
we do a major part of our development; since DARPA is now forcing
UPENN to cancel those Hotel accomodations, I would be very grateful if
anyone can find a way to help us.  I'm going to need to pay for it
myself, since these people are going to come.

Thanks.