From: Daniel Rudy <dcr...@invalid.pacbell.nospam.net.0123456789>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: SCO plans on going after *BSD next year
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:33:44 GMT

http://www.newsforge.com/business/03/11/18/1742216.shtml?tid=2&tid=82&tid=85&tid=94

--
Daniel Rudy

Remove nospam, invalid, and 0123456789 to reply.

Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: SCO plans on going after *BSD next year
From: b...@pu.net (Mark Hittinger)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:00:23 GMT

After reading some of the material it looks like what this new legal
issue will be is the use of *BSD code within Linux.  The first issue
was the use of USL SYSV code within Linux.

The Linux world hasn't been all to careful about lifting code and
removing authorship/copyright comments.

It looks like within the *BSD code under the regents copyright we
are OK.  Its the Linux distro's that are not under the regents
copyright that appear to me to be the target.

This brings two items to mind.  First we know that in Win98 Microsoft
used *BSD code.  Its likely that Windows code suffers from the same
legal issue that Linux code would except that I believe Microsoft has
some old license agreements made with AT&T back in the 386 days.

Second, is there a way out for the Linux crowd to build a distro under
the regents copyright? :-) :-) :-)

Apple needs to get their lawyers revved up if SCO really intends to
come after us.  Given that SCO gave Boies an equity stake in SCOX and
20% of any settlement there will be an incentive for Boies to go after
the commercial users of *BSD as well.  I think their Linux case is a
slam dunk, frankly, and probably will be fairly lucrative.  Any *BSD
case would be fairly weak because of the prior settlement.

Of course I am taking every opportunity hearabouts to tell the worried Linux
hordes that they can simply choose to convert, return to the mother ship
as it were, to *BSD and all will be well. :-)

Later

Mark Hittinger
b...@pu.net

Somewhere around the time of 11/20/2003 08:00, the world stopped and
listened as Mark Hittinger contributed this to humanity:
> After reading some of the material it looks like what this new legal
> issue will be is the use of *BSD code within Linux.  The first issue
> was the use of USL SYSV code within Linux.
>
> The Linux world hasn't been all to careful about lifting code and
> removing authorship/copyright comments.
>
> It looks like within the *BSD code under the regents copyright we
> are OK.  Its the Linux distro's that are not under the regents
> copyright that appear to me to be the target.
>
> This brings two items to mind.  First we know that in Win98 Microsoft
> used *BSD code.  Its likely that Windows code suffers from the same
> legal issue that Linux code would except that I believe Microsoft has
> some old license agreements made with AT&T back in the 386 days.
>
> Second, is there a way out for the Linux crowd to build a distro under
> the regents copyright? :-) :-) :-)
>
> Apple needs to get their lawyers revved up if SCO really intends to
> come after us.  Given that SCO gave Boies an equity stake in SCOX and
> 20% of any settlement there will be an incentive for Boies to go after
> the commercial users of *BSD as well.  I think their Linux case is a
> slam dunk, frankly, and probably will be fairly lucrative.  Any *BSD
> case would be fairly weak because of the prior settlement.
>
> Of course I am taking every opportunity hearabouts to tell the worried Linux
> hordes that they can simply choose to convert, return to the mother ship
> as it were, to *BSD and all will be well. :-)
>
> Later
>
> Mark Hittinger
> b...@pu.net

What really bothers me about this whole thing is that back in Janurary,
they made a few comments about going after BSD, but then it was suddenly
dropped.  I agree with you, it seems that they are going after the
non-BSD code in Linux that was contributed.  Look at the recent events
surrounding SGI.  They found that SGI contributed code and removed the
copyright notices.  SGI has since then issued patches to remove the
offending code and replace it with clean source.

Is there merrit with the SCO vs. IBM case?  Who knows?  But, after 10
years, they cannot go and reopen the case, can they?  I thought that the
AT&T vs. BSDi case was settled with prejiduce which means that it cannot
be reopened.  From the link that I posted, it looks like SCO is going to
try and say that there is illegal BSD code in Linux, that BSD code
cannot be used in Linux, etc.  Looking at the license, I don't see
anywhere that shows that the code cannot be used in other software.  The
only requirement is that the copyright notices remain intact.

If SCO can prove that Linux does contain their code, and if they can
prove that IBM was the one that put it there, then we may see a mass
migration to BSD in general.  Nice thing about that is we increase our
userbase considerably.