Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
From: jeff...@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler)
Subject: AT&T sues BSDI
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 21:18:11 GMT

According to today's _ComputerWorld_ (July 20, 1992, page 16) AT&T's
USL has sued Berkeley Software Design, Inc. in U.S. District Court in
NJ.  Copyright and patent infringement are apparently *not* involved,
the grounds being specified as "trademark infringement, false
advertizing and unfair competition."

The article is very short, and I have nothing more on this.  Its
relevance to this group is marginal if no copyright, patent or trade
secret issue is involved, but that itself may be interesting -- like
the curious matter in one of Sherlock's Holmes stories about what the
dog did in the night.  (For Holmes non-fans, the dog did nothing, in
particular did not bark, suggesting that the parties involved were
familiar to him.)  That AT&T does not sue BSDI on intellectual
property rights in software might suggest it believes it has none that
are worth suing over.  Then again ...

--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeff...@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey