Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
From: kni...@hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Knight of the Living Dead)
Subject: I wonder, did AT&T backstab BSDI?
Sender: n...@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 15:37:50 GMT

As I recall when System 5 Revision 4.0 was released, it was described
(to me, anyway) as an attempt to gain "BSD Compatibility".  I'm wondering
if the reason why AT&T held out sueing BSDI this long is so they could
claim copyright of BSD's code/style/look/feel/etc while it was still
popular, and then smash all the competition.

If so, Steve Jobs at NeXT may find MACH being charged with having
unlicenced BSD-like code that is property of AT&T.

I guess it would be impossible to find a copy of AT&T's System 5
source code..  BSD sure got suckered and coldcocked.  I'd suggest
bringing in the EFF to help out -- its unfair for small business
to pay thier own court fees against such huge businesses.

I agree with some people that a victory for AT&T could spell the demise
for computer science as we know it currently.  U**X really is a great
operating system, the best I ever used.

-- Eric Knight

These opinions are my own, and my employeer doesn't want me ruining his
life anymore than I absolutely have to.
                                            EBKni...@dockmaster.ncsc.mil