Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.bsd,alt.suit.att-bsdi
From: wag...@utoday.com (Mitch Wagner)
Subject: net.views -- USL/BSDI lawsuit -- responses
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 92 19:24:41 GMT

Here we go with the responses to the latest net.views. Thanks to all
who responded to my recent plea for help; and my apologies to those
who replied the first time and whose responses I lost because of my
foolish lack of backups of the net.views file. You can certainly rest
assured that I have a good backup policy in place now.

Thanks also to those who ignored my invitation to flame me for not
making backups.

 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On another topic, if anyone would like to suggest a question for us to
use for net.views, I'd love to hear it. You can find information on
how to reach me in my sig, below.

 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

And now, net.views.

The question was:

     Unix Systems Laboratories recently sued software company
     BSDI and the Regents of the University of California at
     Berkeley, charging that BSDI's commercial Unix workalike
     and UCB's free software violated USL's intellectual property
     rights. Was USL justified in filing the suit?

The responses are attached, below.

Thanks again to all---participants and readers---and apologies again
for the administrative snafu, earlier.

                         -- mitch w.
--
Mitch Wagner, senior editor, Open Systems Today
2353 Massachusetts Ave. Suite 47, Cambridge, MA 02140

From: Berk Walker <elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!techsys!b...@uunet.UUCP>

I am a manager for Hamada of America, I speak only for myself.

Whereas I believe in our justice system (in general), and it's not fair
to try someone in the press, or in this case, usenet, if USL does not
come forth with /specific/ allegations, I feel I need to act.

I have 3 phone lines, and minor influence over several others, in this
and other states.  I will be forced to remove AT&T as my LD supplier,
with written notice as to why. (this includes changing cellular handler).
 APPLE never should have won, and XEROX should have sued apple.  Of
course, if UC Regents are considered a co-conspirator, and do have the
funding to do war with USL, and I feel that BSDI isn't seriously
threatened, I will just sit and watch....... but USL will probably file
for an injunction against BSDI shipping or offering for sale product.

And if BSDI /did/ do a direct port of (C) code?.... well they deserve to
be hanged.  Unfortunately, I will probably make the decision to protest
or not long before substantial proof is shown.  Then I will have struck
against the righteous..... maybe.  I use AT&T in thanks for everything
Bell Labs had done.

lots of words - sorry the meaning is so thin.

Berk Walker

From: Bob Pendelton <hal.com!b...@uunet.UUCP>

Bob Pendleton
Senior Staff Engineer
HAL Computer Systems

Tough question.

The answer is that I really don't know. But I care very much. I've had
access to USL sources, even if I haven't looked at them. Does this
mean that USL can claim ownership on anything I write that has a
function similiar to anything in the USL UNIX distribution?  Maybe it
does.

The thought that I can't claim (or at least can't prove) ownership of
my own ideas is chilling.

			Bob P.

From: CJ Canon <arp.anu.edu.au!Clement.J.Ca...@uunet.UUCP>

RESPONSE:	No - I don't believe that AT&T/USL is justified in filing
against UCB Regents (CSRG) and BSDI. After reading the views of many people,
some for, and others against, I find it completely petty and underhand that
USL should, in effect, snap at the hand which gave it so many features (UCB) to
put into it's own UNIX (whose TM?). On the BSDI front, I find it reasonable
for USL to request BSDI to remove the 1-800-ITS-UNIX phone number, but only
because that number could actually be misleading advertising. Maybe the number
1-800-ITS-BSD would have been a better choice.

	However, the request that anyone who has seen AT&T source should
be barred from working in the field for a competitor is absolutely ludicrous.
I am reminded by the flavour of this request of the suit that broke up Ma Bell
and also of the suit launched against IBM - both anti-trust cases. It makes
one wonder whether or not any of USL's lawyers have thought about the
implications for them if this case succeeds - would success not leave them
open to an anti-trust suit?

	And then on the matter of intellectual property, if USL is so
concerned about their rights, why did they not sue UC Berkeley earlier in
their (USL's) existence?

	To sum up: I hope that whoever presides over the suit dismisses
USL's case, and that complete costs are awarded to BSDI and UC Berkeley.
It might be a purely selfish motive on my part, but I certainly don't want
to be forced out of a preferred career path merely because I've seen AT&T
source and might possibly at some later date remember that code and base
further work on what I remember.

CJ Canon

   Internet: clem...@arp.anu.edu.au

   Australian EST Daytime phone: +61 6 281 5626  (also fax)
   Student, (2nd year Maths --> B.Sc), ANU

  I read my email every day, if further comment/whatever is needed.

From: CJ Canon <arp.anu.edu.au!Clement.J.Ca...@uunet.UUCP>

C. James Canon, and the ANU is the Australian National University, located in
Canberra, the Australian Capital Territory (A.C.T.)

CJ

From: Chaitanya Nagappa <menudo.uh.edu!naga...@uunet.UUCP>

Hi,
Posting this from a friend's account because of some strong feelings (about
the subj.). I have had my share of DOS and VMS, and even though each (seriously!)
had its share of good points the whole idea of it being controlled be one
single entity with its limited vision (mo' money, mo' money) as the only
impetus, I finally found myself liking Unix. Inspite of all its idiosyncracies
and difficulties, Unix (NO *TM*) has moved ahead offering its benefits to
the outside world not because the brilliant minds at AT&T found new ways of
doing things (and not releasing it / or releasing it with undocumentation),
but because the good folks at BSD released it gratis. I recently went to a
talk by the local USL manager, about SVR4.2. The feeling I got was that
this is a pure business minded enterprise now; if possible they'll put a
charge on each character that you type into the machine. The talk itself was
that Unix belongs to AT&T, and that it did not matter whose version that you
use. It seems that USL has become a larger version of Microsoft, a bigger
bully. If USL manages to place a leash on outside enhancements of Unix,
I can guarantee that this is the last major version of Unix that we will
see. Having extensively used software from people such as GNU, kermit, etc.
I wish we could move to an Operating System with the same amount of ties.

About myself - I work as a System Analyst doing programming on X.25 &
Unix, and some system administration among other things. The company
I work for is US Videotel which is in the electronic information field
(a la Prodigy, Compuserve, etc.). If you need to send email to me, you
can either to this address, with the first line addressing it to "Ravi"
or send to "r...@usv.com". Phone # is (713)-877-4272.

Thanks,
--Ravi.
(Ravindran Ramachandran)