Newsgroups: comp.org.eff.talk,comp.unix.bsd,comp.unix.wizards,comp.org.usenix
From: jb...@igor.tamri.com (John Bass)
Subject: ENOUGH! Re: BSDI/USL Lawsuit -- More Bad News for Human Beings...
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 93 23:06:16 GMT

After reading much of the topic it seems to be shaping up much
as the Stalman vs. Industry debate. My views on such are
neither short or to the point.

First, the group at UCB, Joltz, BSDI, and others all have acted
out a plan to attempt to place the AT&T/USL UNIX product into the
public domain. A conspiracy based in false "Robin Hood" ethics.

I doubt the Studios, Screen Actors Guild, or the courts would allow
the Trekies to rewrite every line/scene of each movie/episode (while
preserving the plot and fabric of each story) in an attempt to place
the Startrek industry into the public domain so that freely copyable
and editable movies could by enjoyed by the self proclaimed public.
The fact is, that to do so is blatantly illegal ... no matter how
much a bunch of highschool/college drama school wantabe actors might
cry about freedom of expression while tring ... it's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

From my view what UCB, Joltz, BSDI and others have done has neither
advanced the art nor been in the UNIX industries best interest. With
forethought and malace they incrementally attempted to place the UNIX
operating system product into the public domain by re-writting it
line by line while leaving the framework and the fabric of the system
unchanged ... same global design, major algorithms, data structures,
internal interfaces, etc ... to what end? Only to attempt to destroy
AT&T/USL UNIX as a commercial product. At best the debate has
cost more than a million wasted man-hours that could have been more
productively used to advance the art with a new design. Their actions
have been WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

They should have followed the example of other university research
teams and done some REAL research to give us a guiding example of
what OS's should look like in the next century instead of perpetuating
the mistakes and frail framework of UNIX's 1960/70's design.

The vast majority of programmers rely on the success of their
employers for continued paychecks to pay for the basics plus
toys we wish for a comfortable living.  While most of us truely
enjoy our profession, I doubt most of us would continue if
salaries topped out at $9k/year or we didn't have the dream of
hitting the big one on some speculative development project/startup.

The cry that Bell Labs release of UNIX killed OS research is not
without merrit ... but to belly around the bar and cry in our beer
over 386BSD is even more folly.

Joltz has contended that his goal was to make 386BSD an operating
system research tool/platform would have been most noble ... if it
was atleast a 1990's design instead of a warmed over 1960's design.
The truth is that if this was really his goal, there are dozens of
better OS frameworks than the tired old UNIX design.

There are many ways to build a POSIX compatable OS to advance the
art ... 386BSD is not in my wildest dreams anything other than the
bastard child of a tired old 1960's UNIX OS design.

Bring on the MACH, SPRITE, PLAN9, and other truely inovative designs.
Let the commercial guys milk the MSDOS & UNIX markets and pay our
salaries as long as they can. In a few years MSDOS & UNIX are likely
to be as interesting as IBM 370 OS/MVT, or 360 DOS, or 1620 executive,
or DEC PDP11/RSTS or any of the other OS technolgies I sometime try
to remember from my past that USED TO BE the main stream MUST KNOW.

I LOVE UNIX and have been a wild supporter for 17 years ... but it
has it limits, and just as MS-DOS, those limits are preventing
us from moving forward to better technologies.

It's time we get out of the herd mentality and view the USL vs BSDI
lawsuit as it really is ... a botched attempt by BSDI & Joltz to
plagiarize UNIX. Let's not make folk heros of them over their petty
actions. Lets focus instead on the other teams that are bringing us
our future.

John Bass
Consultant
DMS Design