Newsgroups: comp.os.os2,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.windows.misc,
comp.windows.ms,comp.windows.news
From: pet...@tscc2.macarthur.uws.edu.au (Peter Degotardi)
Subject: Windows NT
Sender: n...@uws.EDU.AU
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1992 03:15:27 GMT

From March `Your Computer'

"Windows NT needs 8Mb of RAM"
"RICK VIZACHERO, an editor for Government Computer News,
recently reported in his column that the demo version of
Microsoft's Windows NT operating environment is less than
friendly when it comes to older MS-DOS applications' software
of hardware.
  Having seen it running on a 75MHz 80486-based computer, a
workstation, and a 33MHz 80386, he reports that it appears the
new 32-bit operating system, wich Microsoft is putting up
against the long-awaited IBM OS/2 2.0, will require a minimum
of a 33MHz 80386 with 8Mb of memory to run.
  A Microsoft demo technician reportedly gave out the stand-
ard line that 'well-behaved' MS-DOS programmings are running OK
under the as-yet unfinished Windows NT, but that some, nota-
bly those that deal directly with hardware, are having prob-
lems.
  One computer industry insider pointed out the 'well-be-
haved' is just code for 'this one works!' "

Any comments anyone ? (Don't mail please, just post)

--
Peter Degotardi ( p.degota...@uws.edu.au ) | Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed
University of Western Sydney, Macarthur    | are my own, and may not reflect

>"RICK VIZACHERO, an editor for Government Computer News,
>recently reported in his column that the demo version of
>Microsoft's Windows NT operating environment is less than
>friendly when it comes to older MS-DOS applications' software
>of hardware.
>  Having seen it running on a 75MHz 80486-based computer, a
>workstation, and a 33MHz 80386, he reports that it appears the
>new 32-bit operating system, wich Microsoft is putting up
>against the long-awaited IBM OS/2 2.0, will require a minimum
>of a 33MHz 80386 with 8Mb of memory to run.
>  A Microsoft demo technician reportedly gave out the stand-
>ard line that 'well-behaved' MS-DOS programmings are running OK
>under the as-yet unfinished Windows NT, but that some, nota-
>bly those that deal directly with hardware, are having prob-
>lems.
>  One computer industry insider pointed out the 'well-be-
>haved' is just code for 'this one works!' "
>Any comments anyone ? (Don't mail please, just post)

Yes.  Windows NT is alpha (and maybe even pre-alpha) code.  It is
nowhere near ready for prime time.  Anything can change.

However, while Microsoft statements are a bit contradictory, they too
have indicated that a 33 MHz 80386DX with 8 MB of memory is a
realistic minimum configuration.  They have also stated that NT will
run "well behaved" DOS and 16-bit Windows applications.  But one thing
they have not said (at least as of late) is that they are "putting up
[NT] against the long-awaited IBM OS/2 2.0."  NT is clearly intended
to be a platform for servers and high end workstations (to compete
against NetWare, Unix, and future versions of OS/2, for example).  It
will probably trickle down (over time) to the client side, but that's
not the initial point of entry it seems.  NT will also be delivered
some number of months after OS/2 2.0.

Backward compatibility is key, it seems.  But on the bright side,
hardware is always getting cheaper, so perhaps an 80486 with 16 MB on
every desktop isn't too far off.  Also, NT has some interesting
features (at least on paper) that aren't satisfied today (although
"some months" is an eternity in the software industry).  Granted, NT
will cost more, but according to reports its price (circa $500) isn't
too far out of line with Novell NetWare and Unix, for example.  Novell
is king right now, and it will be a difficult market to crack, but
competition is always healthy.
--
Timothy F. Sipples          Keeper of the OS/2 Frequently Asked Questions
s...@ellis.uchicago.edu     List, available via anonymous ftp from