Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.announce
From: l...@microsoft.com
Subject: 1994 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference
Sender: sgra...@shiloh.nimh.nih.gov
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 23:21:23 GMT

[this is an ASCII text version of the invitation and brochure for the
1994 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC).]

Dear Windows Hardware Innovator:

Plug and Play. Windows "Chicago." Graphics acceleration. Video
conferencing. Higher-bandwidth networking. Serial SCSI. PCMCIA. Docking
stations. Desktop multiprocessing.

Those are just some of the hardware innovations coming to the Microsoft
Windows platform in the months ahead. There's an easy way for you to keep
up: by attending the 1994 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference, February
23 - 25, 1994 at Moscone Center in San Francisco, sponsored by Microsoft
Corporation, Intel Corporation and Ziff-Davis Publishing Company.

At WinHEC '94 you'll find all the key members of the Windows-based hardware
industry. Component makers. Add-in card makers. And system makers. In three
days of conference programs, product exhibitions, and technical seminars,
you'll learn about major new initiatives, technology advances, and vendor
offerings. WinHEC covers the range of Windows-based hardware, from handheld
and laptop technology to desktops, workstations and high-performance
servers. You'll get the information you need to develop the best possible
Windows-based hardware products.

WinHEC is a technical conference, featuring presentations by architects and
product development managers. The conference presentations are targeted at
engineers and engineering managers, not salesmen or marketers. We'll be
discussing how to design better systems and hardware, not how to sell them.
Please feel free to leave your suits and ties at home.

Enclosed is a brochure that describes the conference in detail, but here are
the highlights:

 - General sessions cover the hardware impacts of Plug and Play and of the
   upcoming "Chicago" release of Windows...Intel's and Microsoft's vision of
   the evolution of PC hardware...an analysis of key hardware trends by
   Michael Slater, publisher of Microprocessor Report, and much more.

 - Technology Forums feature leading engineers from throughout the industry
   delivering presentations on particular areas of hardware innovation,
   display, video, networking, buses, mobile, memory, and many more.

 - Vendor exhibitions let you see and compare the products and technology
   of the leading vendors in one convenient and efficient setting.

 - Optional seminars provide comprehensive introductions to topics such as
   device drivers, the Plug and Play Architecture, and selecting CPUs for
   Windows.

WinHEC '94 happens February 23-25 in San Francisco. Don't miss your best
chance in 1994 to interact with your peers and the leading members of the
vendor community, discuss new initiatives for the Windows-based hardware
industry, and get the information to develop the best, most competitive
hardware to take advantage of the growing Windows marketplace.

To register for WinHEC '94, simply call 1-800-421-6338 (outside the U.S. and
Canada call 1-415-543-5847.) Or complete and mail or fax the form in the
enclosed brochure.

I look forward to seeing you in San Francisco this February!

Paul Maritz
Senior Vice President
Systems Division
Microsoft Corporation

PS: Register now and save $150! Hurry - this special discount applies only
to registrations received before January 23, 1994.

Publishing Co.

Including the latest hardware information on PLUG AND PLAY and Future
Windows ("Chicago").

February 23-25, 1994
Moscone Center
San Francisco, California

WinHEC

---------------------------------------

You're invited to be part of WinHEC '94, the future of Windows hardware.

It's coming. Your once-a-year chance to preview the very latest hardware
standards, subsystems, and components for designing PCs, servers, and
peripherals targeted for the Microsoft Windows operating system family.

The 1994 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference is also a rare opportunity
to meet the key people in the Windows hardware industry--your competitors,
your suppliers, your customers -- and get a feel for what's current -- and
what's coming.

Become better informed for your designs. If you're involved in hardware
development, WinHEC will give you firsthand insights and up-to-the-minute
knowledge you simply can't get any other way. WinHEC will put you in a
position to design better, more competitive systems. Save time and money by
gathering lots of information and seeing many vendors all in one place.

In two information-packed days, you'll:

 - Hear about design challenges and innovative solutions covering virtually
   all areas of system design for hardware targeted at Windows
 - Hear Microsoft's strategy for the Windows family of operating systems
 - Get the latest information about Plug and Play and the upcoming release
   of Windows, code-named "Chicago"
 - See the latest products from 100 leading vendors of component technology
 - Gain new insights into the future of Windows-based hardware
 - Become better informed so you can better design your next generation of
   Windows-compatible products

In short, if you're responsible for the design of next-generation PC
hardware, you can't afford to miss this conference. It's your best chance in
1994 to understand the technology and meet the vendors you'll need to create
tomorrow's hot hardware products.

WINHEC '94 IS SPONSORED BY MICROSOFT CORPORATION, INTEL CORPORATION, AND
ZIFF-DAVIS PUBLISHING CO.

Register now by calling 1-800-421-6338 (U.S. or Canada) or 1-415-543-5847

-------------------------------------

Three days of intensive, in-depth information

WinHEC isn't a lot of marketing hype. It's a hard-core technical
conference. It's your front-row seat to the future of hardware technology
for Windows. You'll find the information you need to design hardware to get
the most out of upcoming releases of the Windows operating system.

A unique event in the Windows hardware industry. The key players of the
industry will be at WinHEC to discuss the latest challenges and solutions.
The two conference days include:

 - Key industry announcements
 - Talks by industry visionaries
 - Technology forums focusing on various dimensions of Windows hardware
 - Technical exhibition
 - Exhibitor sessions
 - Hosted receptions
 - Ample opportunities to network with the Windows hardware industry

-----------------------------------

Special seminars increase your knowledge.

Four optional(*) half-day seminars on February 25 will provide in-depth
introductions to selected Windows hardware topics. Choose from these
seminars:

-Selecting CPUs for Windows-based PCs and Servers

Hear Michael Slater, publisher of Microprocessor Report, survey the major
microprocessor types for Windows and Windows NT systems. Includes expert
comparisons of the architectures, implementations, price, performance, and
power consumption of 486 variants from Intel, AMD, Cyrix, TI, and IBM;
Intel's Pentium family; MIPS's R4x000 family; Digital's Alpha processors;
and the PowerPC family from Motorola and IBM.

 - Device Drivers for Windows ("Chicago")

   Get a valuable overview of the driver architecture being implemented for
   Windows ("Chicago"). Gain firsthand information about the major classes of
   drivers, including display, storage, comm, and networks. Find out how to
   implement protect-mode virtual device drivers (VxDs). Learn what driver
   development kits and support options are available. And get answers to
   your specific development questions.

 - Device Drivers for Windows NT

   Enhance your Windows NT development with this overview of Windows NT
   driver architecture. Get technical descriptions of the major classes of
   drivers, including display, storage, comm, and NDIS, as well as the
   miniport architecture implemented in Windows NT. You'll also find out
   about the latest driver development kits and support offerings, and have a
   chance to ask questions on topics of interest to you.

 - Introduction to Plug and Play Architecture

   Get a close-up look at the Plug and Play framework architecture and its
   software implementation in "Chicago." Learn about the key implementation
   areas for Plug and Play, including ISA cards, BIOS, PCI, PCMCIA, SCSI, and
   IDE CD-ROM, and see example implementations. Finally, find out about
   requirements for Plug and Play device drivers.

* There is an additional fee for seminars, but special rates are available
for WinHEC attendees.

--------------------------------------

Technology Forums

New this year is a series of forums addressing specific technical challenges
facing hardware designers. Each forum will address several related topics
and present in-depth analysis and innovative solutions you can apply to your
work in building state-of-the-art hardware platforms for Windows. The
following are examples of the topics to be discussed in the forums (forums
subject to change):

Forum 1: Advanced Display Technology
         Advanced graphics features, acceleration,
         3D, memory for advanced displays
Forum 2: Networking and Server Technology
         Fault tolerance, multiprocessing,
         high-bandwidth networking, system management
Forum 3: Video Technology
         Conferencing, multimedia
Forum 4: Advanced Interface Technology
         PCI, serial SCSI, Cardbus, Access Bus
Forum 5: Mobile Technology
         Docking stations, PCMCIA, power management,
         wireless networking, wireless modem,
         hand-held devices
Forum 6: Advanced Memory & Cache Subsystems
         Rambus, synchronous DRAM, write-back caches,
         desktop multiprocessing
Forum 7: Telephony Technology
         DSPs, modems, DSP software, Fax, PBX integration
Forum 8: Peripheral Devices
         Printers, IDE CD-ROM, Plug and Play SCSI peripherals

----------------------------------

1994 WinHEC TENTATIVE Agenda
(Agenda subject to change)

Day 1: Wednesday, February 23, 1994

| Registration, Continental Breakfast                         |
| Kickoff Address: Microsoft Windows System Strategy          |
| Paul Maritz, Senior Vice President, Systems, Microsoft Corp |
| Delivering Plug and Play to Customers                       |
| Moshe Lichtman, Plug and Play Group Manager, Microsoft Corp |
| Break                                                       |
| Announcements of New Technologies from Industry Leaders     |
| A System Maker's Perspective on Plug and Play               |
| Speaker to be Announced                                     |
| Communicating Plug and Play to Customers                    |
| Jonathan Lazarus, Vice President, Systems Strategy,         |
| Microsoft Corp                                              |
| Hardware Technology and System Design Trends                |
| Michael Slater, Publisher, Microprocessor Report            |
| Lunch                                                       |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Forum 1: Advanced Display    | Forum 2: Networking and      |
| Technology                   | Server Technology            |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Break                                                       |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Forum 3: Video Technology    | Forum 4: Advanced Interface  |
|                              | Technology                   |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| TECHNICAL EXHIBITION                                        |
| Exhibits Open                                               |
| Exhibitor Sessions                                          |
| Hosted Reception                                            |

Day 2: Thursday, February 24, 1994

| Continental Breakfast                                       |
| Perspective on Next Generation PC Platforms                 |
| Speaker to be announced, Intel Corp                         |
| Desktop and Mobile Hardware Design Targets for              |
| Windows ("Chicago")-Based Systems                           |
| John Gray, "Chicago" Program Manager, Microsoft Corp        |
| Break                                                       |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Forum 5: Mobile Technology   | Forum 6: Advanced Memory &   |
|                              | Cache Subsystems             |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Lunch                                                       |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Forum 7: Telephony Technology| Forum 8: Peripheral Devices  |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Keynote Address: Microsoft's Vision for PCs in the Future   |
| Bill Gates, Chairman, Microsoft Corp.                       |
| TECHNICAL EXHIBITION                                        |
| Exhibits Open                                               |
| Exhibitor Sessions                                          |
| Hosted Reception                                            |

OPTIONAL SEMINAR AGENDA

Day 3: Friday, February 25, 1994

+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Seminar 1: Selecting CPUs for| Seminar 2: Device Drivers    |
| Windows-based PCs and Servers| for Windows ("Chicago")      |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Lunch                                                       |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Seminar 3: Device Drivers    | Seminar 4: Introduction to   |
| for Windows NT               | Plug and Play Architecture   |
+------------------------------+------------------------------+

-------------------------------------

EXHIBITION

Exhibitor sessions provide in-depth product information. New for WinHEC in
1994 are special sessions highlighting conference exhibitors. Product
presentations by exhibitors in theater-style settings give you the
opportunity to get in-depth information on the products you're interested
in. A complete schedule of exhibitor sessions will be provided at the
conference.

Exhibitors are the leaders of the industry. WinHEC attracts the biggest
names in the Windows-based hardware industry. Last year's exhibitors
included:

 Adaptec
 Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
 American Megatrends
 Analog Devices
 ATI Technologies
 Binar Graphics
 Brooktree Corporation
 BusLogic Inc.
 C-Cube Microsystems
 Chips and Technologies
 Cirrus Logic
 Corollary
 Creative Labs
 Crescendo Communications
 Cyrix Corporation
 Databook
 DPT
 Diamond Computer Systems, Inc.
 Digital Equipment Corporation
 Emulex
 ESS Technology
 Future Domain
 Hewlett Packard
 Honeywell Keyboard Division
 Integrated Information Technology
 Intel
 LSI Logic Corporation
 Matrox
 Maxtor
 Media Vision
 MIPS Technologies, Inc.
 Motorola
 Nanao
 National Semiconductor
 NCR
 New Media Corporation
 Oak Technology
 Opti
 PCI Local Bus Special Interest Group
 Philips
 Phoenix Technologies, Inc.
 Protege
 Proxima
 Q Logic
 S3
 SGS-Thomson
 SMC
 SystemSoft
 SunDisk
 TDK Electronics Corporation
 Texas Instruments
 Trident Microsystems
 Tseng Labs
 VESA
 Weitek
 Wacom
 Western Digital
 Xircom
 Yamaha Systems Technology
 Ziff-Davis Publishing Co.
 Zoran Corporation

----------------------------------

Who should attend?

WinHEC is a technical conference, not a marketing show. Its emphasis on
Windows-based hardware issues makes it ideal for:

 - Product development managers
 - Hardware engineers
 - Senior technical managers
 - Project leads
 - And anyone else responsible for PC system or subsystem engineering, chip
   design, or component engineering

What you'll learn.

WinHEC will provide you with information on the latest hardware
technologies, educate you on the key hardware agendas for 1994, and fill you
in on upcoming Windows-related product releases. This conference and
optional seminars will enable you to:

 - Design better, more competitive hardware
 - Get the most from your hardware designs
 - Exchange technical information with others in the Windows-based hardware
   industry
 - Participate in dialogs on proposed extensions to existing PC standards
 - Learn how to design for the Plug and Play architecture
 - Learn about specific Windows device driver internals
 - See sample designs and get system and subsystem specifications

WinHEC '94. A must-attend event for the engineers of tomorrow's PCs.

------------------------------

GENERAL INFORMATION

Conference Registration Fees:  Early conference registration (paid by
January 23, 1994) is $595 per person. Regular conference registration is
$745 per person. Registration includes the cost of the conference,
breakfasts, lunches, and receptions during the conference.

Seminar Registration Fees:  Seminar registration is $250 if you're attending
the conference and $500 for the seminars alone.

Cancellation:  Cancellations postmarked through February 1, 1994, will be
refunded less a $95 cancellation fee. Cancellations after February 1, 1994
will not be refunded. Cancellations must be made in writing. Substitutions
may be made at any time. Microsoft reserves the right to cancel this
conference without penalty, in which case all registration fees will be
fully refunded.

Special Accommodations:  If you require special assistance, auxiliary aids,
or other reasonable accommodations, please contact Microsoft at
1-800-421-6338 by February 9 (two weeks prior to the conference).

Tax Deductions:  Treasury regulation 1.162-5 Coughlin vs. Commissioner
203F2D307 permits that certain education-related expenses are tax
deductible if incurred to maintain and improve professional skills. These
expenses include registration fees, travel, lodging, and meals.

Hotel Accommodations:  A number of rooms have been reserved at three hotels
near the conference site at special rates. DO NOT CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY.
To reserve a room, please complete the appropriate section on the
registration form or call 1-800-421-6338.

Airline Reservations:  Special discounted airfares are available to WinHEC
attendees. Please ask when you call to register for WinHEC.

---------------------------------------

URGENT: Register now and save $150! Take advantage of our early
registration discount and save. Register for WinHEC '94 by January 23 and
pay just $595!

3 Ways to Register for Conference, Seminars & Hotel:  Whether you're coming
to the conference, seminars, or both, it's easy to register. Just follow
these steps:

By Phone: Call toll-free 1-800-421-6338 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Pacific
Time. Outside the U.S. and Canada, call +1-415-543-5847 from 7:00 a.m. to
5:30 p.m. Pacific Time.

Please have your VISA, MasterCard, or American Express card number ready.

By Mail: Complete the registration form, detach, and mail to: WinHEC '94, 33
New Montgomery Street, Suite 2070, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA.

Enclose check, money order, or credit card information. Do not send cash.
Make checks payable to Microsoft Corporation and reference WinHEC.

By Fax: Complete the registration form and fax it to 1-415-979-2270.

Please be sure to include all payment information (only credit card payment
accepted for faxed registrations).

Bonus! Come early or stay late. We've made special arrangements if you want
to arrive early or stay after the conference and seminar to enjoy the City
by the Bay. You can take advantage of the discounted room rates at the San
Francisco Marriott, Sheraton Palace Hotel, or Galleria Park Hotel two days
before and two days after WinHEC.

--------------------------------------

Conference & Seminar Registration Form

WinHEC: 1994 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference
February 23-25, 1994    Moscone Center    San Francisco, California, USA

___Yes! I'm planning to attend WinHEC, Wednesday & Thursday, February 23-24.
Please reserve a spot for me. I have completed the Registration Form,
including payment instructions. I understand the conference fee is $745, or
$595 for early booking if my paid registration is faxed or postmarked by
January 23, 1994. Registration must be paid in full to secure my place at
the conference. (All prices stated in U.S. dollars.)

______Early registration: $595 until Jan. 23, 1994.

______Standard registration: $745 after Jan. 23, 1994.

______Exhibits only (one or both days): $50

___I'd like to attend the optional seminars, Friday, February 25 I would
like to attend the optional WinHEC seminars on February 25. I understand
the seminar fee is $250 if I attend the WinHEC conference, or $500 for the
seminars alone.

______I will also be attending the conference ($250 seminar reg. fee)

______I will be attending the seminars only ($500 seminar reg. fee)

Please type or print. One form per attendee, please. Photocopies are
acceptable. Your name and company will appear on your conference badge
exactly as you indicate on this form.

First Name____________________ Last Name______________________

Job Title_____________________ Company________________________

Address_______________________________________________________

City___________________________ State/Province________________

ZIP/Postal Code__________ Country_____________________________

Phone________________________ Fax_____________________________

Please check one:

____Check or money order enclosed. Please make payable to Microsoft
Corporation, and note WinHEC and registrant's name on bottom of check.
(Checks must be in U.S. funds.)

____MasterCard ____VISA ____American Express

Credit card number____________________________________________

Expiration date_______________________________________________

Name as it appears on card (please print)_____________________

Authorized signature__________________________________________

Hotel Room Reservations (Please check hotel preferences)

_____San Francisco Marriott ($145 per night)

_____Sheraton Palace Hotel ($125 per night)

_____Galleria Park Hotel ($95 per night)

_____1 bed    _____2 beds

_____Smoking  _____Non-smoking

Share with (if applicable): ____________________________________
                                Name

Check-In Date ______________    Check-Out Date ________________

_____Check attached (make payable to your desired hotel for
first night's stay).

_____Credit Card Guarantee

Please indicate card number below if different from card used for
registration.

____MasterCard ____VISA ____American Express

Credit card number____________________________________________

Expiration date_______________________________________________

Name as it appears on card (please print)_____________________

Authorized signature__________________________________________

Mail this form with your payment to:
WinHEC '94
33 New Montgomery Street, Suite 2070
San Francisco, CA 94105
USA

Fax this form with your credit card number to: 1-415-979-2270 (Credit Card
Payment only for faxed registrations).

Register by phone from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Pacific Time: 1-800-421-6338
(within the U.S. and Canada), or 1-415-543-5847 (outside the U.S. and
Canada).

__
Lee Fisher, (not a spokesperson for) Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA, USA
l...@microsoft.com, +1.206.936.8621, 74750....@compuserve.com