From: jer...@netcom.com (Jeremy Allison)
Subject: Isn't the Win32 supposed to be the same across platforms ?
Date: 1995/09/26
sender: jer...@netcom5.netcom.com
organization: NETCOM On-line Communication Services (408 261-4700 guest)
keywords: nt,win32
newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
summary: Win32 is somewhat irregular between WinNT and Win95

Hmmm. Here's the last paragraph from an article in
the October 1995 MSJ, written by "Mr. Win32" Jeffrey Richter.
The article is "Add Growable Memory-Mapped Files to Your App
with Our Exclusive GMMF API".

"I expect the behavior of the Win32 API's on Windows95
and Windows NT to be almost identical. But it seems that I am
always being bitten by implementation differences between
these two platforms, probably because I always seem to do
something that the system wasn't designed to do. Because
Microsoft has separate OS teams, each with slightly different
goals in mind, there will always be issues (some obvious and
some not so obvious) that will need to be addressed when
developing applications to run on both Windows95 and Windows NT.
Just remember to test, test, and test."

Now lets change just one or two words - and we get......

"I expect the behavior of the UNIX API's on Solaris
and HPUX to be almost identical. But it seems that I am
always being bitten by implementation differences between
these two platforms, probably because I always seem to do
something that the system wasn't designed to do. Because
Sun and HP have separate OS teams, each with slightly different
goals in mind, there will always be issues (some obvious and
some not so obvious) that will need to be addressed when
developing applications to run on both Solaris and HPUX.
Just remember to test, test, and test."

So tell me again, Win32 advocactes, that the reason it's
a *much* better API than the UNIX API's is that it's *exactly*
the same across all CPU platforms.........

	Hope this causes some discussion,

		Jeremy Allison,
		j...@vantive.com

PS. I use both the UNIX and Win32 API's daily - and
prefer neither one nor the other - it just bugs me
to see a marketing claim that is so patently untrue
touted as an OS advantage.