From: "Chris Lewicki" <clewi...@igs.com>
Subject: New NT Flaw
Date: 1997/04/01
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security

Has anyone heard about this or no where this tool is being distributed?

*** Major security hole in Windows NT operating system

A major security flaw has been uncovered in Microsoft Corp.'s flagship
network operating system, Windows NT, that could enable a user dialing
in from a remote location to unscramble encrypted information --
including a corporate network's entire registry of user passwords --
and display it as plain text, according to a report posted on EE Times
Online (http://www.eet.com). The discovery is especially troublesome
for the Redmond, Wash. software giant because it has tried to position
NT as more secure network server than alternatives such as Unix. For
the full text story, see
http://www.merc.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2194562-f73

Christopher A. Lewicki
Information + Graphics Systems
4990 Pearl East Circle
Boulder, CO  80301

clewi...@igs.com
Phone: (303) 449-1110 x2153
Fax: (303) 449-1298

>Has anyone heard about this or no where this tool is being distributed?

>*** Major security hole in Windows NT operating system

Not really, but...

>A major security flaw has been uncovered in Microsoft Corp.'s flagship
>network operating system, Windows NT, that could enable a user dialing
>in from a remote location to unscramble encrypted information --
>including a corporate network's entire registry of user passwords --
>and display it as plain text, according to a report posted on EE Times
>Online (http://www.eet.com). The discovery is especially troublesome
>for the Redmond, Wash. software giant because it has tried to position
>NT as more secure network server than alternatives such as Unix. For
>the full text story, see
>http://www.merc.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2194562-f73

The deal with this is that Jeremy Allison has determined how to get
the hashes of the passwords out of the registry.  This means that I
can dump all the users and their hashed passwords to a text file if
and only if I have administrator priviledge on that machine (which is
why it isn't really as bad as the press makes it sound).  Once I've
dumped the hashes, I can then run a dictionary attack on them.

Where the hole really comes in is that those hashes can be used to
authenticate across the network from a machine running samba.  So if
you use the tool as intended, you can now have your entire NT network
breached if anyone gains root on the samba machine.

If you're concerned about weak passwords, install passflt.dll from SP2
- there is also source to write your own on MS's site.

David LeBlanc           |Why would you want to have your desktop user,
dlebl...@mindspring.com |your mere mortals, messing around with a 32-bit
                        |minicomputer-class computing environment?
                        |Scott McNealy

>Has anyone heard about this or no where this tool is being distributed?
>

>*** Major security hole in Windows NT operating system
>
>A major security flaw has been uncovered in Microsoft Corp.'s flagship
>network operating system, Windows NT, that could enable a user dialing
>in from a remote location to unscramble encrypted information --
>including a corporate network's entire registry of user passwords --
>and display it as plain text, according to a report posted on EE Times
>Online (http://www.eet.com). The discovery is especially troublesome
>for the Redmond, Wash. software giant because it has tried to position
>NT as more secure network server than alternatives such as Unix. For
>the full text story, see
>http://www.merc.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2194562-f73

this is a bunch of bullshit ... there is no security flaw.. there is
a program that will generate a .txt version of the usernames and encrypted
passwords .. and another that attempts to un-encrypt them using a dictionairy
approach... you first need administrator privilge just to dump the passwords

unix has a readeable passwords file anyway.. since all users need to be
able to read the password file to log in...

there is NO security hole....

>>*** Major security hole in Windows NT operating system

>this is a bunch of bullshit ... there is no security flaw.. there is
>a program that will generate a .txt version of the usernames and encrypted
>passwords .. and another that attempts to un-encrypt them using a dictionairy
>approach... you first need administrator privilge just to dump the passwords

It is a bunch of bullshit.  However, there is a hole - the hashes can
be used across the network to access shares and other resources.  If
the file with the hashes is stolen, your whole domain is compromised.
IMHO, they should strongly encrypt the hashes instead of weakly
obfuscating them.

They should also grab a lock on that section of the registry and not
allow access to it.