From: "John Napor" <johnn@???.net>
Subject: Re: WinNT 4.0 installation on IT5H v1.5 isn't working. Help.....
Date: 1997/06/26
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

 I installed NT 4.0 workstation and server from 2 Abit IT5H systems. Both
were upgrades from Win95. One was off IDE system and the server off of SCSI.
You might try setting all of your bios settings to default the low side and
maybe try going from a clean hard disk. FDISK and throw command.com on C:
Also Win NT CD is a bootable CD

--
John Napor
jo...@sgi.net

Eric Ham wrote in article <01bc829f$a345c1c0$0f02000a@Heart.134.139.4.15>...

> [...]
>a major roadblock.
> I can get through the initial setup with the 3 setup floppy disks and
>copying the files from the CD-ROM drive to the hard drive.  It then says to
>remove any floppy disks or cd's and that it will restart the computer and
>continue with setup.  It reboots then starts up the blue screen where it
>detects the hardware.  It finds 1 processor and 64 MB of memory like it
>should and then it hangs with the following error message:
>
>"STOP: 0x0000007b Inaccessible Boot Device"
>
>followed by a full screen of some kind of error codes.  Pressing
>Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do a thing, I have to either shut off the power or
>push the restart button and it will just go through the same procedure.
>I've even tried the option at to boot up NT in VGA mode, only to have the
>same problem.
> Now the installation manual has a brief little troubleshooting guide in
>the back.  It even lists this particular error message and what could cause
>it or how to try and fix it (of which I've tried but still no success).
>The possibilities it lists are 1) A virus; 2) The SCSI card is configured
>wrong; 3) "In the BIOS verify that file I/O and/or disk access are set to
>standard. Most computers ship with access set to either 32-bit or enhanced
>access."
> 1) The harddrive is brand new, but I scanned it anyway and there are no
>viruses.  2) I don't have SCSI.  3) This seems to be the key but I've
>looked all over in the BIOS screens and haven't found this option.  Either
>it's not there or I'm going blind. :)
> No I'm not using any BM drivers if you're thinking that might be a
>problem. :)
> So does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Any clues on that BIOS
>setting?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you want me to provide
>more info just ask and I'll post some more or we can e-mail each other.
>Someone out there has got to be running NT, let me know how you did it
>please.
>
>TIA,
>Eric
>
>As for my system here are the specs:
>
>ABIT IT5H v1.5
>3K BIOS
>Pentium 166 Classic
>64 MB 60ns EDO RAM
>Matrox Mystique 4MB
>2 Western Digital 2.1GB AC22100 Hard drives
> -Each with 4 partitions of 500MB each
> -Drive C: has DOS and games
> -Drive D: trying to install WinNT
>SBAWE32 Sound Card
>Mitsumi 16x CD-ROM
>Viewsonic 15" monitor
>.

Is anyone able to get WinNT 4.0 Workstation installed on a system with an
IT5H v1.5 mainboard?
	I just got a new system about a week ago and I've been installing all the
parts as I find time.  I have DOS 6.22 installed and working along with a
couple of games.  Now I want to install WinNT 4.0 Workstation and I've hit
---------------

There's your problem ... you're trying to run NT4.0!  This is one of the
flakiest
most difficult to get running OSs available on the planet today (perhaps
with the
exception of Unix/Linux).  Do yourself a GIANT favor ... forget NT 4.0 ..
run
Win95 until Win 98 (or whatever) comes out.  You'll save a lot of hair
pulling!

Bill

    Bill> Eric Ham wrote: Is anyone able to get WinNT 4.0 Workstation
    Bill> installed on a system with an IT5H v1.5 mainboard?  I just
    Bill> got a new system about a week ago and I've been installing
    Bill> all the parts as I find time.  I have DOS 6.22 installed and
    Bill> working along with a couple of games.  Now I want to install
    Bill> WinNT 4.0 Workstation and I've hit a major roadblock.
    Bill> ---------------

    Bill> There's your problem ... you're trying to run NT4.0!  This
    Bill> is one of the flakiest most difficult to get running OSs
    Bill> available on the planet today (perhaps with the exception of
    Bill> Unix/Linux).  Do yourself a GIANT favor ... forget NT 4.0 ..
    Bill> run Win95 until Win 98 (or whatever) comes out.  You'll save
    Bill> a lot of hair pulling!

    Bill> Bill

I run NT Workstation 4.0 and Red Hat Linux 4.2 without any problems on
a P133 (at 150MHz) /w 128MB RAM on an IT5H v1.5.

The only trouble I've had was with NT and it's service packs.  Linux
has been more stable than NT for me.

--
Andrew Veliath <vel...@frontiernet.net>