From: mbu...@mentor.com (Mike Butts)
Newsgroups: sci.energy
Subject: "Report GM Sets Impact for '93 Mass Production"
Date: 5 Jun 90 18:38:41 GMT

Automotive Electronics Journal, June 4, 1990, p.1, reports that GM has specific
production plans for the Impact electric prototype.  I'll paraphrase to respect
their copyright:

GM will produce the Impact in 1993 as a '94 model, according to a report in
Automotive Industries Magazine.  Reports are that 2000 cars will be built that
year, possibly by an outside source, and only for sale to California utility
companies and service industries.  1995 models are expected to be built
in-house, in limited quantities, up to 10,000 units.  Later quantities would
rise to 50,000-100,000/year.

Lead-acid batteries would be used first, but GM is reportedly working on a new
type of battery for the 1995 cars.  GM plans to include battery replacements up
to a specified mileage as part of the car's warranty, to address customer
concerns about durability.
--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer          KC7IT          503-626-1302(fax:1282)
Mentor Graphics Corporation, 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, Oregon   97005