From: p...@inesc.UUCP (Paulo Dimas)
Newsgroups: gnu.g++
Subject: Porting gcc and g++ to the Macintosh
Date: 18 May 89 20:14:43 GMT

Has anyone ported gcc and g++ to the Macintosh?!!
If so, can I get some hints....
Thanks!!!

-- Paulo Dimas (inesc - Lisboa, Portugal (EEC))

From: r...@AI.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: gnu.g++
Date: 20 May 89 16:57:22 GMT
Sender: dae...@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

I hope no one ports GCC to the Macintosh; but in any case, we will not
propagate or support such a port.  We are boycotting the Macintosh
system because of Apple's look-and-feel copyright lawsuit.  This is such
a great threat to the future of free software that it is essential to
do everything we can to pressure Apple and form public opinion against
their demands.

The League for Programming Freedom urges all of you to boycott Apple,
Lotus and Ashton-Tate by not buying their products, not developing
software to work with their products, and not working for those
companies.

Here is our latest action:

This Wednesday, the League for Programming Freedom will protest the
look-and-feel copyright demands of Lotus, Apple and Ashton-Tate by
picketing the headquarters of Lotus.  The sponsors of the
demonstration include Guy L. Steele, Jr., Richard Stallman and MIT
Professors Marvin Minsky, Gerald J. Sussman, and Patrick Winston.  If
you want to preserve the freedom to write and use programs of your
choice, join our demonstration!

We will gather at Tech Square in Cambridge (on Main Street near Vassar
Street) shortly before noon on Wednesday May 24, rain or shine.  Go to
the center of Tech Square, between the buildings, where the trees are.
At noon we will march to the Lotus building next to the river at 55
Cambridge Parkway.  If you are late, go directly there.  Don't be too
late, since we will finish at 1pm.

If you work in the suburbs, you can travel back and forth and stay for
the entire demonstration in about 2.5 hours.  That's a long lunch, but
you can get away with it.

Please post copies of this announcement where you work, on bulletin
boards and anywhere else appropriate.  Also speak to your coworkers
and friends about the demonstration; some of them may not read net
news or bulletin boards.

Since not everyone will make a sign, it is very helpful if you do so.
Here are some suggestions for slogans:
    SAY NO TO MONOPOLY
    KEEP YOUR LAWYERS OFF MY COMPUTER
    BOYCOTT LOTUS
    PROGRAMMERS ARE ANGRY
Use your imagination; the more variety, the better.

We are thinking of returning some used 1-2-3 manuals to Lotus as a
symbolic gesture of rejection of their software.  If you have a manual
you would like to use for this, bring it along.

Once we get to the Lotus building, please remember not to litter, not
to block pedestrians and to stay out of the street.  We want to behave
as responsible citizens of a democratic society and be seen as such.
It's a sure thing there will be lots of reporters covering the first
demonstration ever by programmers about an issue vital to the
programming field.