From: r...@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: why the library license
Date: 29 Jun 91 14:05:47 GMT
Sender: dae...@cis.ohio-state.edu

Many software developers would like to take GNU software and insert
it into proprietary products.

Sometimes they simply demand we let them sell our work, as if they
were entitled to it.  Or, less blatantly unreasonable, they say our
work is not "really free"--because it requires them to respect
freedoms of others which they would rather be free to deny.  (You
might as well say that a society is not "really free" unless people
are free to own slaves.)  Of course, the software these people write
isn't "really free" or free at all, but somehow the same standard
doesn't apply to them.

These statements are annoying but I doubt they convince very many readers.

Others go about it differently.  Instead of denouncing the FSF
distribution terms as an ethical issue, they try to convince people
that other proprietary software developers (other than the one who is
speaking) would never use the software on our terms.

Of course, what other proprietary software developers will or won't do
is not really of great concern to such a person.  Rather, his hope is
to persuade us free software developers to let him do exactly as he
pleases--to ask nothing of him in the way of respect for the freedom
of the users.

Predicting that nobody will use the GNU libraries under our current
terms (whatever those happen to be) is a natural way of doing this.
While he can't prove these predictions, no one can disprove them
either.  Even if they are based on exaggeration, some people may
believe them.  And he has nothing to lose by saying them.

Thus, we were recently offered the prediction that no one would use
LGPL libraries if they have any requirement at all, no matter what it
might be, because managers would refuse to consider any concession
however light its practical cost.

Actually, there are reasons to think that many proprietary developers
(even if not all) will use our libraries under the LGPL.  One is that
many of them have received it enthusiastically.  Another is that the
requirement of offering tapes of object files on request is comparable
to the requirement for distributing GNU utilities in binary form.
Large companies have already accepted that requirement.

Of course, I can't prove this prediction of success any more than
others can prove their predictions of failure.  The sensible policy
for free software developers is not to try to predict, but rather to
observe the actual results which will happen over the next year or
two.  It will be much better to base our future plans on what people
actually do than on what someone would have us think other people will
do.

>Many software developers would like to take GNU software and insert
>it into proprietary products.
>
>Sometimes they simply demand we let them sell our work, as if they
>were entitled to it.  Or, less blatantly unreasonable, they say our
>work is not "really free"--because it requires them to respect
>freedoms of others which they would rather be free to deny.  (You
>might as well say that a society is not "really free" unless people
>are free to own slaves.)  Of course, the software these people write
>isn't "really free" or free at all, but somehow the same standard
>doesn't apply to them.
>
>These statements are annoying but I doubt they convince very many readers.
>
>Others go about it differently.  Instead of denouncing the FSF
>distribution terms as an ethical issue, they try to convince people
>that other proprietary software developers (other than the one who is
>speaking) would never use the software on our terms.

And others say this:

We would be much happier if the licence (and the LGPL) made some
explicit reference to people who develop specialized software systems
which are sufficiently specialized that only a handful of copies will
ever exist, and stopped assuming that everyone who writes software
works either for a computer vendor or general purpose software
company.

You have been successful at getting people to fund your efforts.
Others succeed in a different domain, and fully support your work.
However, with your claims that software should be free, and only
support and distribution paid for, you do not appear to support such
work.  Is it not possible for the GNU project to help support
specialized software systems at the same time as people who work for
companies that do this support GNU in developing general purpose
software tools ?  Are those goals truly in conflict ?"

--
"When in some obscure country town, the farmers come together to a special town
meeting, to express their opinion on some subject that is vexing the land, that

>We would be much happier if the licence (and the LGPL) made some
>explicit reference to people who develop specialized software systems
>which are sufficiently specialized that only a handful of copies will
>ever exist, and stopped assuming that everyone who writes software
>works either for a computer vendor or general purpose software
>company.

Huh?!  I am really puzzled by this.

If your market niche is _so_ specialized that you will only sell one copy
then you will not lose any money by giving the source code along with
the binaries (GPL or LGPL).

Even when selling just a "handful" [five or less] you will not be losing
revenue for yourself by releasing your object modules (LGPL).  No one will
try to decompile your object modules unless there is a *big* gain for them.
And there will not be such a gain for a program for which only a "handful"
of copies exists.

If you are talking about selling software that includes large chunks of FSF
code then, whether or not you are selling one or a thousand copies, you _OWE_
the FSF and all the programmers who contribute to the FSF effort large
chunks of money.  Instead of money, they only ask for the rights to use your
code as your used theirs.  What could be more fair?

If you really want to sell software that includes _modules_ of FSF code then
do a little work and put the FSF code into a a set of library routines.
Contact the FSF and see if they are willing to release the code under the LGPL.
If they are then just release the library (and source code to the library)
and your object modules.  You are now back to using the LGPL.

If you are not using chunks of FSF code, and you are not using FSF libraries,
then there is no requirement for you to place your software under a GPL.

I don't see how changing the GPL or LGPL will help you or the FSF.
But, I am curious, how would you have the FSF word this *new* part of the GPL?

	"Anyone may sell up to 5 copies of software.  After selling 5 or
	 more copies of software, they must release the code to anyone,
	 including former customers for up to 2 years from the date of
	 sale of the fifth copy.  They must also make best effort to
	 contact all customers to notify them of the availability of the
	 source code."

Of course, how will you know if your copy of GCC 2.07.23XYZ from XYZ Corp. is
really any different from GCC 2.07.54PDQ from PDQ, Inc. until you see the
code?

How do you stop a company from selling four copies, making a minor change to
the software (bugfix) and then selling four copies of this *new* software,
making a minor change, ad infinitum?

Curious,
Aydin Edguer

>>We would be much happier if the licence (and the LGPL) made some
>>explicit reference to people who develop specialized software systems
>>which are sufficiently specialized that only a handful of copies will
>>ever exist, and stopped assuming that everyone who writes software
>>works either for a computer vendor or general purpose software
>>company.
>
>Huh?!  I am really puzzled by this.
>
>If your market niche is _so_ specialized that you will only sell one copy
>then you will not lose any money by giving the source code along with
>the binaries (GPL or LGPL).
>
>Even when selling just a "handful" [five or less] you will not be losing
>revenue for yourself by releasing your object modules (LGPL).  No one will
>try to decompile your object modules unless there is a *big* gain for them.
>And there will not be such a gain for a program for which only a "handful"
>of copies exists.

This wasn't quite the point I was making. Its not clear to me that the
GPL would even allow me to use source code in this way (although it
may - I just am not sure). Note I said source code - not stuff from
the libraries, but perhaps something like taking gcc's parser, ripping
it out and using it for something else. If I charge time+materials to
a client for this, am I ripping of the original author of the parser,
or simply making good use of their work ?

>If you are talking about selling software that includes large chunks of FSF
>code then, whether or not you are selling one or a thousand copies, you _OWE_
>the FSF and all the programmers who contribute to the FSF effort large
>chunks of money.  Instead of money, they only ask for the rights to use your
>code as your used theirs.  What could be more fair?

Suppose that the mythical company referred to as "we" (you'll note my
current address is in the .edu domain) did not charge any of its
clients for the code that came from FSF material. Does the
GPL imply that use of copylefted material in a non-copylefted program
makes one financially indebted to its authors ? I thought that the
whole point of the GPL was to remove this kind of relationship between
software and its creators.

One of the problems with the whole GNU idea (as wonderful as it is) is
that it seems targetted at general purpose software (operating
systems, compilers, various tools). Neither it, nor RMS's general
ideas about software seem to address the issue of software that is
being written for very specific purposes. Case in point: writing
software to scan, halftone, compress, store and print images. Although
some large companies are attempting to offer "off-the-shelf" solutions
for this type of thing (Kodak & Agfa spring to mind), for many cases,
these generic systems do not have the performance needed to specific
applications. The software that is created for this type of task is a
very different animal from the stuff that the FSF has released to date
(please don't mention GhostScript - having an interpreter for a page
description language is about 5% of the problem).

What are companies that choose to make a living producing stuff like
this supposed to do with regards to software sharing ? I think that
the responses to Jim Showalter's questions provided some good insight
into how GNU is working: better to see it as a way for companies and
research organizations to collaborate in a loosely structured,
cooperative manner. GNU is not free, but is something whose cost has
been distributed across the many of us who choose to use, support and
develop parts of it. This is something ideally suited to general
purpose software. I'm not sure the same model can be extended to
special purpose systems created for 1 or 2 clients.

>I don't see how changing the GPL or LGPL will help you or the FSF.
>But, I am curious, how would you have the FSF word this *new* part of the GPL?
>
>	"Anyone may sell up to 5 copies of software.  After selling 5 or
>	 more copies of software, they must release the code to anyone,
>	 including former customers for up to 2 years from the date of
>	 sale of the fifth copy.  They must also make best effort to
>	 contact all customers to notify them of the availability of the
>	 source code."

I would guess something like:

	If this software is included in any form, modified
	or not, no charge will be made to anyone to whom
	you distribute it in relation to the provision of
	the functionality it provides. If you choose, you may charge
	for the modifications you perform, and for added
	functionality that you make available.

This directly violates the GPL. The only way I could see of
reconciling the two of them is to try and come with a way to specify
that you cannot charge anything for any modifications that leave the
overall functionality intact (i.e you can't charge for adding a new
keyword to gcc, but you can charge for taking its parser out and
modifying it to be a part of a C-based interpreter for image
manipulation). I don't believe this is possible to do.

So, seems to me we are stuck with a real division between those who
would like to use free software in a manner similar, but not identical
to that espoused by the GPL, and those who think that no-one should
ever be able to sell a software system that include GPL-covered code,
even if there is no charge for such code. Licensing from the FSF is a
possibility, but that heads back into the messy divide between
"general purpose" and "specialized" software.

Gone on too long. I'm not sure how much I believe all the above ....