From korbomite@yahoo.com Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Cannon korbomite@yahoo.com
Subject: [sklyarov-chicago] [OT]Are you patched?

COMPLETELY off-topic here, but I'm still in 'bunker
mode' here due to what's happening on the Internet now
(and what's about to happen).  I'm not spamming you
and this is not a 'rumour virus.'

AS a responsible user of the Internet, a responsible
sysadmin, and a security professional, I send the
following:

PLEASE if you are running ANY version of Windows NT
above 3.51 or Windows 2000 (including Professional)
ANYWHERE, ANYHOW...PLEASE (enough PLEASEes?) go to
http://www.microsoft.com and click on the CODE RED
WORM link in the upper right-hand corner.  DO THIS
EVEN IF YOU ARE DIAL-UP ONLY OR DON'T THINK YOU'RE AT
RISK!!!!!  DO THIS EVEN IF YOU ARE BEHIND A
FIREWALL!!!! (Obviously, don't do this on a corporate
machine, but if you don't see the 'computer guys/gals'
coming around PHYSICALLY to confirm patching and
cleaning, your Korp's gonna be in BIG trouble come the
19th).

PLEASE PATCH YOUR WINDOWS!!!!  Don't bother to update
your virus software or go to your anti-virus vendor's
website.  Don't bother to contact YOUR security guy.
Go to the Microsoft home page and click through and
APPLY THE PATCH!!!!  I have a link below directly to
the page that links to the patch download.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me until
7:00 PM tonight (when _I_ will be down for a
well-deserved rest -- my _personal_ count so far this
weekend is 3200 servers patched and confirmed
virus-free we're doing it by script and following up
manually).

As of now, even though Win95, Win98, and WinME all use
ISAPI (the 'weakest link' the worm exploits),
Microsoft has not yet released a patch.  There is
currently no consensus as to whether these systems are
or will be vulnerable.

Mike Cannon
Got Patch?  GET IT!
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/
technet/itsolutions/security/topics/codeptch.asp

FREE DMITRY!!! http://freesklyarov.org/