GROKLAW
When you want to know more
but don't know where to look.

IANAL. I am a journalist with a paralegal background,
so if you have a legal problem and want advice,
please hire an attorney.

Amazon Honor  System Click  Here to Pay Learn More

Click here to send an email to the editor of this weblog.

Click to see the XML version of this web page.

law.com Dictionary

EFF bloggers rights.

To read comments to this article, go here
Free UnixWare7/Evaluation Licenses - UNIX M & C
Monday, June 26 2006 @ 11:04 PM EDT

So, I was reading... groan... the "SCO UnixWare 7 Release 7.1 Getting Started Guide". And just when I decided that I must have been really bad to be punished with such a chore, kazaam! Look what I found: more Unix Sooper Seekret methods and concepts spilled on the ground like oil from your old car.

On page 5 and 6, I found references to a couple of things that I believe shoot some new holes in SCO's position on confidentiality too. Poor SCO. They're like a second wife who doesn't know a thing about her husband compared to the first wife. SCO took the name, but it doesn't know the Santa Cruz history. Neither did I, but at least I'm trying.

You'll never guess what oldSCO did in 1999. So I'll tell you, with links and graphics to prove I'm not making it up. On May 28, 1999, Santa Cruz announced that it was giving away UnixWare7 free for personal, noncommercial use. Oh, and the world could use it for open source development.

Hahahahaha. I guess oldSCO wasn't planning on suing IBM in 2003 (through all eternity) over methods and concepts, huh?

NewSCO has scrubbed as much of that old history as it can from the Internet (which tells us that it likely does actually know more than it lets on), but they can't control all of the Internet, so here's a message on an Irish LUG's board:

[ILUG] Free UnixWare 7