Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: pmacdona@sanjuan (Peter MacDonald)
Subject: fully broiled ideas
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 92 07:22:56 GMT

Two weeks in the Maui sun, and some half baked ideas are now fully broiled.
Here they are, in no particular order.

I note BSDI is promising binary compatibility with SysV 3.2.  I imagine
then that if this happens, 386BSD will eventually follow suit if possible.
Soooo, anyone know if there are any steps that could be taken to move Linux
part way towards it now?  Like perhaps, adopting the same system call
interface, if possible?   I know that the current shared libraries
interface is incompatible with that goal, but ignore that for the moment.
The primary issue here is to strengthen Unix vis-a-vis other commercial
operating systems.

BTW:  has anyone tried the OLEO spreadsheet on tsx yet.  Bug reports or
"it works for me" reports would be appreciated.

Is anyone working on a fully automated install program like the one
for SUN and DELL?

I would like to see a layered installation available with perhaps the
following options:
	1) Just the runtime system
	2) Development (includes, kernel source, compiler, yacc, etc)
	3) X-windows runtime.
	4) X-windows development.

This would hit most of the interest groups, while remembering the
frugel (space conscious) nature that draws us all to systems like Linux.

Please reply to:

pmacdona@tadpole.bcsc.gov.bc.ca

if at all.