Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit
From: m...@taylor.uucp (Mark A. Davis)
Subject: Linux beoming a real choice?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 23:35:32 GMT

I hate to post this message here, but I currently do not have access to the
Linux group, so please forgive me :)

The concept of Linux is really starting to grab my attention now.  The work
seems to be progressing into a viable OS.  I am aware of the many utilities
available for it, as well as networking and X windows.  My question is this:
I have Interactive Unix at home which I would like to replace.  But there
are two things which I think Linux lacks which make it more feasible- true
MS-"DOS" emulation (like Vpix, with sound and graphics, etc), and SCO-Unix and/
or Xenix and/or System V/386 binaries compatibility.  I would need these two
things before starting to go Linux crazy.

My logic is thusforth:  Most people still have MS-"DOS" software which they
need to run, and running it UNDER Unix is preferable.  AND many people have
Unix binaries for production software which will not run under Unix (and may
never be available in Linux native binary format).

So, does anyone know if these two things are yet available, coming,
or planned? (If they are, Linux could start an interesting revolution!)
  | Mark A. Davis    | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk, VA (804)-461-5001x431 |
  | Sys.Administrator|  Computer Services   | mark@taylor / m...@taylor.UUCP |

>The concept of Linux is really starting to grab my attention now.  The work
>seems to be progressing into a viable OS.  I am aware of the many utilities
>available for it, as well as networking and X windows.  My question is this:
>I have Interactive Unix at home which I would like to replace.  But there
>are two things which I think Linux lacks which make it more feasible- true
>MS-"DOS" emulation (like Vpix, with sound and graphics, etc), and SCO-Unix and/
>or Xenix and/or System V/386 binaries compatibility.  I would need these two
>things before starting to go Linux crazy.

Both are being somewhat worked on - the linux DOS emulator already works
reasonably well (not as complete as many others, but it's starting to
get there), and while binary compatibility isn't there, I'm slowly
looking into it.

There has been some limited Xenix binary compatibility for a long time
(I seem to remember the first patches from about a year ago), but it
never made it into the kernel proper, and I don't know where to find the
patcher or whether they actually work with reasonably new kernels.  I'm
personally slowly checking the iBCS2 standard (bought the d*mned
standards book last week), but have so far just changed the signal stack
frame to conform, and I wouldn't hold my breath for any real
compatibility for some time (although in a separate project Eric
Youngdale has run a few ELF binaries by messing with the shared
libraries..)

Right now, and for the immediate future, I'm afraid any serious linux
use (contradiction in terms? :-) would have to be done with "native"
binaries.  This does mean that most free software is available, but
don't expect to move over your SysV commercial binaries.

		Linus