From: mc...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Recent GPL interpretations and Linux
Date: 5 Jul 1993 14:38:14 -0500
Sender: mc...@tramp.cc.utexas.edu

If you don't read gnu.misc.discuss, there has been an interesting thread
regarding interfacing non-GPL program to GPL code/libraries.  The basic
story is as follows:

	-The RIPEM package uses the RSAREF package due to a very
	restrictive patent by PKP on public key encryption that only
	permits free use of these methods through this package.  The RSAREF
	package is very restrictive in distribution of the software because
	of U.S. export laws (these cryptographic methods are classified as
	"munitions" and may not be distributed outside the U.S. or Canada
	without a liscense from the State Department).  The non-RSAREF
	parts of RIPEM are not subject to such restrictions, but the
	package needs RSAREF to work.

	-The author of RIPEM included some patches that could make the
	calls in the code interface with GMP (the gnu multi precision
	library) if you choose to link it in this fashion.  This inclusion
	of an interface to the GNU code was not required for the package,
	but instructions for making this link were included in the
	documentation.  The patches bascially consisted of changing a few
	functions to the appropriate name and format for linking the
	package with libgmp.  _No GPL'd code was included in this package
	in any way shape or form, the patches only provided a method to
	interface the GPL'd libraries if the user already had them_.

	-RMS has stated that this is in violation of the GPL and cannot be
	done.  The author has removed the patches from the distribution and
	it is no longer possible to use the GMP library with this
	particular package.

I hesitate the bring the GPL issue up again, but these recent events seem
to have significant implications for the use of GPL'd libraries in Linux
with any commercial code.  If this particular interpretation of what is
effectively an interface copyright to GPL libraries is the "way things will
be" I am wondering what impact this might have on people developing any
commercial applications under Linux.  If this interpretation is official
then it may have a rather chilling effect upon anyone who might want to
develop a program on a system (such as most Linux systems...) that uses
GPL'd libraries.  By simply providing a method for you program to link with
these libraries you may be found to be in violation of the GPL.  The
previously dismissed (by myself as well as others) claim that the GPL was a
"copyright virus" may in fact have come true.  While I hope this is not the
case, I strongly urge people to pay attention to what is happening on this
issue.

Check out gnu.misc.discuss for more discussion on this particular issue,
but if you are considering creating a non-GPL program under any system that
uses GPL libraries you need to definitely take a look at this.

jim
--
Jim McCoy                	|  UT Unix Sysadmin Tiger Team
mc...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu 	|  #include <disclaimer.h>

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss