Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: przemek@rrdjazz.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski)
Subject: First meeting of metropolitan DC Linux User group
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 17:16:19 GMT

Hello,

A Linux User Group in our geographical area has been recently
formed. Considering that Linux is such a good implementation of Unix,
one could question whether there is enough Linux-specific topics that
are not addressed by, e.g., DC Unix User Group. However, needless to
say, I personally believe there is a solid case for a group concerned
specifically with Linux.

Firstly, I think it is important that people who are interested and/or
knowledgeable in Linux meet in person. The traffic in Usenet Linux
newsgroups is so overwhelming that that one simply cannot keep up with
everything. The smaller, more personal user group could be a buffer
and a resource to its members.

Besides, other Unixes are for work, while Linux is for fun; an
alternative name for this group could be 'Home UNIX Computing User
Group'.

The first meeting will explore and help answer these issues.  It will
take place on Wednesday, July 6, 1994, 7:00 pm, at the Gaithersburg
Library.

I will make an opening presentation on cheap home Internet
connectivity in DC metro area, followed by a discussion which may or
may not address the following topics (depending on the interest and
expertize of participants):

  - home automation, or how to run your home from /etc/crontab
	- X10
	- PIC microcontrollers

  - discussion of newest releases of popular distributions

  - hardware
	- possibility of group purchases (SCSI ctrl/disk/tape/cdrom, monitors)
	- good and/or cheap local sources of hardware

  - sound card support in Linux

  - advanced graphics/visualization (ray tracers/solid modelers)

The above list represents my own areas of interest. Please contact me
if you have comments and/or additional ideas for the first meeting.

The Gaithersburg library is located at the corner of Montgomery
Village Avenue and Lost Knife Road/Christopher Road: see below.

BIG PICTURE:

   to Frederick                to Baltimore & NYC
        \  \
         I-270                       / /
          \  \                      / /
Gaithersburg  \                    I-95
            \  Rockville          / /
            |  |                 / /
             \  ==I-495 beltway=/ /
             //                  \\
            //                    \\
            ||     Washington      ||
            ||         DC          ||
        Fairfax                    ||
             ||                   //
              \\                 //
                =================

GAITHERSBURG AND VICINITY:
                                            Christopher Rd
                                     LIBRARY_   v
                                             \ | |
    \                 | Rte |  	   |  |       X| |
     \----------------+ 355 +------+  +--------+ +----
      \ QuinceOrchard       Montgomery Village Ave.
       \___     ______      _______    _________  ____
\ I-270	\ /    /      |     |      |  |     || | |
 \       v   /Exit 11     	            	^
  \        /(Montg.Vill.Ave)	            Lost Knife Rd
   \        \
    \ take   \
     \ local  \
      \ lanes  \

			przemek klosowski (przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov)
			Reactor Division (bldg. 235), E111
			Gaithersburg, MD 20899,      USA

			(301) 975 6249 tel
			(301) 921 9847 fax

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@tc.cornell.edu
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.