From: hai...@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de (Bruno Haible)
Subject: Why do you call Linux "GNU/Linux"?
Date: 1995/04/21
organization: IZFM, Uni Stuttgart
keywords: Linux, gnu
newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss
originator: bhaible@sunserv

Why does the GNU bulletin (January 1995) avoid the term "Linux" and use
the words "GNU/Linux"?

The bulletin says Linux is "a variant GNU system which uses Linux as the
kernel". What does this mean?

Linux is named after its main author, Linus Torvalds. There aren't
different "brands" of it: There is no "Slackware Linux" or "Yggdrasil
Linux". There is only one Linux. (Well, there is Linux for m68k but they
share most of the source.)

The term "GNU/Linux" sounds as if the GNU project wants to state that
Linux has been developed (or bought) by the FSF.

                    Bruno Haible
                    hai...@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de

content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
organization: University of Helsinki
keywords: Linux, gnu
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss

In article <3n9bki$...@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>,
Bruno Haible < hai...@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>Why does the GNU bulletin (January 1995) avoid the term "Linux" and use
>the words "GNU/Linux"?
>
>The bulletin says Linux is "a variant GNU system which uses Linux as the
>kernel". What does this mean?
>
>Linux is named after its main author, Linus Torvalds. There aren't
>different "brands" of it: There is no "Slackware Linux" or "Yggdrasil
>Linux". There is only one Linux. (Well, there is Linux for m68k but they
>share most of the source.)
>
>The term "GNU/Linux" sounds as if the GNU project wants to state that
>Linux has been developed (or bought) by the FSF.

Just to set the record straight, rms actually asked about if first, and
I saw no reason not to call it GNU/Linux in the GNU bulletins etc.  As
he pointed out, a lot of the utilities are GNU programs (perhaps not
most, but still a very noticeable part).

One of the early linux distributors (yggdrasil) called the systm "LGX"
for Linux/GNU/X11, but they seem to have gone over to plain "Yggdrasil
Linux" for name recognition (whee, I didn't think that "Linux" would be
a name recognition factor when I started).

The reason linux is GPL'd (that wasn't the original copyright, after
all), is mainly gcc - I could have made do without the other GNU tools,
but gcc was (and still is) my favourite GNU program, and one that made
linux possible in the first place.  I'll forgive even GNU emacs as long
as gcc is available ;-)

		Linus