Microsoft comming out with new language.
Arturo Mijangos
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:30:00 -0700

I don't know if you guys have seen it on slashdot.org but microsoft if
comming out with a new programming language called c#(c-sharp).  It will
have a c, c++ feel but with a lot of java stuff, such as garbage collection,
multiplatform run, etc.

There is a good article about it on cnet

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2128454.html

I don't know what to think about it, what do you guys think?

Arturo

Re: Microsoft comming out with new language.
Jeremy Browne
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:07:17 -0700

Yeah, I saw it on /.

Someone said c-sharp is the same in music as d-flat.

>From: "Arturo Mijangos" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Microsoft comming out with new language.
>Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:05:01 -0600
>
>I don't know if you guys have seen it on slashdot.org but microsoft if
>comming out with a new programming language called c#(c-sharp).  It will
>have a c, c++ feel but with a lot of java stuff, such as garbage
>collection, multiplatform run, etc.
>There is a good article about it on cnet
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2128454.html
>
>I don't know what to think about it, what do you guys think?
>
>Arturo

Re: Microsoft coming out with new language.
Ben Crowder
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:29:10 -0700

And you just *have* to love their new .net thing (basically, they store
all of your personal information on their servers, so you can access it
from any computer).  No, they didn't buy the TLD (though it wouldn't
surprise me very much if they did) -- it's yet another scheme of the great
and abominable software company. ;)  It makes one wonder how often they'll
ruffle through your files, making sure you aren't pirating anything. ;)
The story's on Slashdot today.  All I can say is that I'm glad I'm running
Linux. :)

-Ben

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Jeremy Browne wrote:

> Yeah, I saw it on /.
>
> Someone said c-sharp is the same in music as d-flat.
>

> >From: "Arturo Mijangos" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Microsoft comming out with new language.
> >Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:05:01 -0600
> >
> >I don't know if you guys have seen it on slashdot.org but microsoft if
> >comming out with a new programming language called c#(c-sharp).  It will
> >have a c, c++ feel but with a lot of java stuff, such as garbage
> >collection, multiplatform run, etc.
> >There is a good article about it on cnet
> >http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2128454.html
> >
> >I don't know what to think about it, what do you guys think?
> >
> >Arturo

Re: Microsoft coming out with new language.
Arturo Mijangos
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:50:45 -0700

You my friend can say that again.  Pretty soon you can store maybe your
babies in Microsoft's main frame and use them as power supplies.  then the
Next thing you know you're deciding between red pills and blue ones.

just some thoughts

Arturo
> And you just *have* to love their new .net thing (basically, they store
> all of your personal information on their servers, so you can access it
> from any computer).  No, they didn't buy the TLD (though it wouldn't
> surprise me very much if they did) -- it's yet another scheme of the great
> and abominable software company. ;)  It makes one wonder how often they'll
> ruffle through your files, making sure you aren't pirating anything. ;)
> The story's on Slashdot today.  All I can say is that I'm glad I'm running
> Linux. :)
>
> -Ben
>
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Jeremy Browne wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I saw it on /.
> >
> > Someone said c-sharp is the same in music as d-flat.
> >

> > >From: "Arturo Mijangos" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >Subject: Microsoft comming out with new language.
> > >Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:05:01 -0600
> > >
> > >I don't know if you guys have seen it on slashdot.org but microsoft if
> > >comming out with a new programming language called c#(c-sharp).  It
will
> > >have a c, c++ feel but with a lot of java stuff, such as garbage
> > >collection, multiplatform run, etc.
> > >There is a good article about it on cnet
> > >http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2128454.html
> > >
> > >I don't know what to think about it, what do you guys think?
> > >
> > >Arturo

Re: Microsoft coming out with new language.
Nate Ashford
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:04:07 -0700

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Arturo Mijangos wrote:

> You my friend can say that again.  Pretty soon you can store maybe your
> babies in Microsoft's main frame and use them as power supplies.  then the
> Next thing you know you're deciding between red pills and blue ones.

Don't give them any ideas! With every passing day, I'm more and more convinced
that Slashdot's Bill Gates/Borg icon is right on.

"Hey everybody, let's sell our souls to Microsoft, then rent them back at
exorbitant prices!"

--
Nate Ashford
Loki Entertainment Software

Big Brother is watching you [Was Re: Microsoft coming out with newlanguage.]
Ben Crowder
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:54:22 -0700

While at one time it seemed a bit far-fetched, Orwell's "1984" may have
more truth to it after Mr. Gates has his way.  Telescreens (or whatever
they're called) could soon become reality (we have flatscreen displays,
and it's conceivable that in the near future they'll figure out how to
receive from them -- it'll be touted as a boon to videoconferencing -- and
they'll start appearing in the homes, and voila!).  And then Microsoft
will buy out the technology, and through their slick marketing department
they'll get the screens in as many homes as possible, and then they'll be
able to watch whatever they want.  (And of course they'll do it in the
name of squelching piracy or some other ridiculous notion.)  No, really --
I don't know if it'll ever happen, but it sure sends shivers down the back
to think about it.  Long live the revolution! :)

BTW, did anyone else read on Slashdot about the new licensing scheme MS
put into place April 1, where you don't get the CD any more?  And what's
worse is that the OS is bound to your specific computer, so you can't move
it to another one or even change the hardware configuration (the way
Office 2000 is).  And, supposedly, they're also going to start licensing
Office on a subscription basis -- so if you don't pay your monthly (or
yearly or whatever) fee, you're locked out of your documents.  Bummer.
Yet another (of a steadily growing catalog) reason to cling to open
source.

-Ben

--
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the
 chance to work hard at work worth doing."

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Nate Ashford wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Arturo Mijangos wrote:
>
> > You my friend can say that again.  Pretty soon you can store maybe your
> > babies in Microsoft's main frame and use them as power supplies.  then the
> > Next thing you know you're deciding between red pills and blue ones.
>
> Don't give them any ideas! With every passing day, I'm more and more convinced
> that Slashdot's Bill Gates/Borg icon is right on.
>
> "Hey everybody, let's sell our souls to Microsoft, then rent them back at
> exorbitant prices!"

Re: Big Brother is watching you [Was Re: Microsoft coming out with newlanguage.]
Matt W.
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:46:01 -0700

It's disgusting to work on campus and watch how the department executives
(namely ITServices) play into the Microshaft game.  We always hear how there
has been a campus wide agreement to freely use such-and-such Microshaft
product.  All the heads of departments are so excited and proud.  It would
be interesting to find how many hundreds of thousands of dollars are given
to M$ for these agreements.

Matt W.

Re: MS's presence at BYU [Was: Big Brother is watching you]
Soren Harward
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:17:46 -0700

On Fri 23 Jun 2000 at 20:42:45, Matt W. muttered:
> It's disgusting to work on campus and watch how the department executives
> (namely ITServices) play into the Microshaft game.

Yup, and at almost every other school in the country as well.  My high
school (from which I graduated just over a year ago) was going 100% MS,
with MS's "educational licensing" help.  Guess who got to help
clean up the disaster after the Chernobyl virus trashed almost every
computer in the school?  Guess who turned down a request to help clean
up the disaster after ILOVEYOU trashed almost every computer in the
school (they even offered to pay me at my hefty corporate consulting
rate this time)?  Guess who had to uninstall -- at the threat of having
his diploma revoked -- the 9 copies of Linux on various systems in the
CS labs (despite the requests of students and my AP CS teacher) the week
after he graduated?

MS knows that if they can get Windows into the schools and get people to
learn computers on Windows, then they'll have an MS customer for life.
It's almost exactly the same situation as tobacco companies going after
kids/youth instead of adults.  Before I started advocating at my school
(and granted, it was only to the AP CS classes and a few other computer
friends), few people knew that there even *were* other operating systems
besides Windows and Mac (which they just considered the Apple version of
Windows).

If I weren't going to be disappearing from the computing world for two
years come August 9, I would start making some noise at BYU to get Linux
and other Free OS's recognized a little more.  I would *love* to come
back in 2002 and see some of the systems in the computer labs running
it.  If MS wants to dig its own hole, let it; "the wicked will be cast
into the pit they have dug."  You guys who will be on campus have some
really good ammo (the DoJ sentence, ILOVEYOU, Kerberos, this possible
monthly licensing, alternatives like GNOME and Star Office) to work with.
Can some of you fire off a few rounds for me while I'm gone?

--
Soren Harward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://soren.cinternet.net/
    "You're part of humanity."

Re: MS's presence at BYU [Was: Big Brother is watching you]
Nathan Hokanson
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:38:25 -0700

> If I weren't going to be disappearing from the computing world for two
> years come August 9, I would start making some noise at BYU to get Linux
> and other Free OS's recognized a little more.  I would *love* to come
> back in 2002 and see some of the systems in the computer labs running
> it.  If MS wants to dig its own hole, let it; "the wicked will be cast
> into the pit they have dug."  You guys who will be on campus have some
> really good ammo (the DoJ sentence, ILOVEYOU, Kerberos, this possible
> monthly licensing, alternatives like GNOME and Star Office) to work
> with.
> Can some of you fire off a few rounds for me while I'm gone?

You should be happy to note that all of the CS UNIX labs on campus are in
the process of removing the Solaris UNIX.  RedHat 6.2 is being installed
instead.  I don't know if the HP labs are going to be changed to RedHat, but
it would be nice.

I believe some of the labs downstairs in the Talmage are already running
RedHat.

Re: MS's presence at BYU [Was: Big Brother is watching you]
Soren Harward
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:33:26 -0700

On Mon 26 Jun 2000 at 08:40:19, Nathan Hokanson muttered:
> You should be happy to note that all of the CS UNIX labs on campus are in
> the process of removing the Solaris UNIX.  RedHat 6.2 is being installed
> instead.  I don't know if the HP labs are going to be changed to RedHat, but
> it would be nice.

Honestly, Solaris doesn't bother me at all because it's a good operating
system that's well-built for Sun hardware.  Neither does HPUX or AIX or
IRIX or True64, because the company wrote the OS for the hardware, and
it's a match of a good OS running on good hardware (okay, yeah, the
commercial Unices are all somewhat screwy, but Linux & NetBSD are still
playing catch-up on the heavy-duty hardware like Octane's and E10000's).
The reason Windows bothers me is because it's a crummy OS that's
gotten its stranglehold on the x86 platform not necessarily by superior
programming but by superior marketing.  That's how they got Apple's share
of the "I'm a clueless user" desktop market, how they got businesses
to see their *NIX and mainframe systems as so obsolete that they *had*
to be replaced by NT servers, etc.