SSS Debriefing
Michael Halcrow
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:11:22 -0700

We gave out 400 copies of the SSS CD this week. I was able to help out
on Wednesday and Friday, though I'm told that Thursday was our biggest
success (that was NOT a sequitor). We have a total of 580 SSS CD's in
the wild now. Maybe we can have that number closer to 1,000 by the end
of the school year!

If we do math the way Microsoft does math
(http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/ww/), then the breakdown for
each disc is:

Office Suite: $580
Web Browser: $40
Image Manipulation Software: $610
3d Multi-player Video Game: $50
TOTAL: $1,280

$1,280 * 580 = $742,400

So, collectively, we've saved BYU students 3/4 of a million dollars
through our humble efforts. After our next SSS booth, we can claim that
we've saved students OVER A MILLION BUCKS!!! We should print on the
cover of each CD, "The Free Software on this disc can save you $1,280!"

I was talking to my dad last month, and he gave me the idea that we
should offer the BYU bookstore an opportunity to sell the SSS CD's for
whatever their profit margin on Microsoft Office is.

Mike

--
---------------------------------------- | ------------------------
Michael Halcrow                          | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                         | Brigham Young University
Giving money and power to Government is  |
like giving whiskey and car keys to      |
teenage boys.                            |
  - P.J. O'Rourke                        |
---------------------------------------- | ------------------------

SSS in the news (slashdot)...
Michael Torrie
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:50:57 -0700

Looks like someone with good karma should post a comment to the slashdot
story tonight telling what the UUG put on their SSS CD Image.  Looks
like the brilliant people that came up with SSS aren't the only ones
thinking about advocacy using similar means.

Michael

Re: SSS in the news (slashdot)...
Michael Halcrow
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:16:26 -0700

http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=40728&cid=4333710

Any others?

---------------------------------------- | ------------------------
Michael Halcrow                          | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Research Assistant, Network Security Lab | Dept. of Comp. Science
                                         | Brigham Young University
What has it got on its portses?          |
---------------------------------------- | ------------------------

Re: SSS in the news (slashdot)...
Dave Smith
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:05:20 -0700

Somebody needs to write an article documenting what we've been doing with
our booths, SSS, and install fests. Post that article to the web-site, and
then we should write our own article for slashdot. It's too late for this
thread (that Michael mentions below) since it's long deep into the abyss
of Slashdot commentary.

I'm bummed that we didn't jump on this sooner.

Ideas for the article:

- Mention the 580 SSS CDs we've handed out
- Mention the apps on each CD
- Mention the ISO's home on ftp.cs.byu.edu
- Do NOT mention that we have a LOT of other distros on there as we don't
want to see millions of downloads of our other ISOs (in fact, maybe we
should put the SSS iso elsewhere to avoid publicizing our somewhat private
ftp server).

Anyway, let's get a volunteer to start fleshing out an article, and then
we can all contribute and post it. I have pics of the booths and install
fests if anyone wants to use those.

I wonder how old Phantom will stand up to a slashdotting...

--Dave

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Michael Torrie wrote:

> Looks like someone with good karma should post a comment to the slashdot
> story tonight telling what the UUG put on their SSS CD Image.  Looks
> like the brilliant people that came up with SSS aren't the only ones
> thinking about advocacy using similar means.
>
> Michael

                              ,-._.-._.-._.-._.-.
                              `-.             ,-'
 .----------------------.       |             |
| Cool nerds use ASCII   |      |             |
| art at the bottom of   |      |             |
| their emails.          |      |             |
|                        |     ,';".________.-.
|                        |     ;';_'         )]
|                        |    ;             `-|
|                        `.    `T-            |
 `----------------------._ \    |             |
                          `-;   |             |
                                |..________..-|
                               /\/ |________..|
                          ,'`./  >,(           |
                          \_.-|_/,-/   ii  |   |
                           `."' `-/  .-"""||    |
                            /`^"-;   |    ||____|
                           /     /   `.__/  | ||
                                /           | ||
                                            | ||

Re: SSS in the news (slashdot)...
Frank Sorenson
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:23:44 -0700

I read somewhere that on Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Dave Smith said:
> Somebody needs to write an article documenting what we've been doing with
> our booths, SSS, and install fests. Post that article to the web-site, and
> then we should write our own article for slashdot. It's too late for this
> thread (that Michael mentions below) since it's long deep into the abyss
> of Slashdot commentary.
>
> I'm bummed that we didn't jump on this sooner.
>
> Ideas for the article:
>
> - Mention the 580 SSS CDs we've handed out
> - Mention the apps on each CD
> - Mention the ISO's home on ftp.cs.byu.edu
> - Do NOT mention that we have a LOT of other distros on there as we don't
> want to see millions of downloads of our other ISOs (in fact, maybe we
> should put the SSS iso elsewhere to avoid publicizing our somewhat private
> ftp server).
>
> Anyway, let's get a volunteer to start fleshing out an article, and then
> we can all contribute and post it. I have pics of the booths and install
> fests if anyone wants to use those.
>
> I wonder how old Phantom will stand up to a slashdotting...
>
> --Dave

Great.  This is just what I needed.  Now I've got 20 people (my _limit_ is
20) across the entire world downloading stuff like Mozilla and Gimp from
_my_ ftp server.  What's wrong with just posting a list of the software on
our CD?  Everyone knows where to get bzflag, mozilla, and the Gimp, so why
a link to the ISO?

So much for a semi-private mirror of a bunch of stuff.  I've tried pretty
hard not to draw too much attention.  I'm okay with people associated with
the University in some way using the ftp site, but this is getting
ridiculous.  If we get much more traffic, I'll start removing things from
the ftp server.  I don't want to spend my life maintaining ISOs and
mirrors for the entire world.

The only things I ever see in the logs are downloads of Mandrake and
RedHat.  I'm already questioning why I try to keep up with a lot of
things, such as FreeBSD and YellowDog.  There just aren't enough people
_in the BYU community_ that use them to justify keeping them up-to-date.
I don't get paid for this, and I'm not going to provide a fast, complete
ftp server for the entire internet (or entire slashdot community).

Frank
Frank Sorenson
CSR Computer Science Department
Brigham Young University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: SSS in the news (slashdot)...
Michael Halcrow
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:24:16 -0700

Sorry, Frank. We didn't intend to make your life difficult.

If you would like the ftp server to be just for the BYU community, may I
make a temporary suggestion for the FTP server firewall.

iptables -A INPUT -s 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s ! 128.187.0.0/255.255.0.0 --protocol tcp
--destination-port ftp -j REJECT

This will have the negative effect of cutting off those who live
off-campus, but it would be better than taking the whole thing off-line
at this point. Maybe we can switch to a private FTP server, and post the
username and password on the mailing list? Sure the username and
password would be "public", but most random Internet users wouldn't go
through the trouble of trying to find it.

Mike