From mike at halcrow.us  Tue Sep  2 16:22:39 2003
From: mike at halcrow.us (Michael Halcrow)
Date: Tue Sep  2 14:23:43 2003
Subject: [uug] New IBM Linux Commercial

Something to look forward to.  :-)

During the US Open and the first Sunday NFL season game on Sept. 7,
IBM will go primetime with a unique 90-second TV commercial
highlighting IBM's strategic choice of Linux as a pillar of its
open-standards strategy for e-business on demand.

Besides Ali and Marshall, the celebrities in the ad are:

 Henry Lewis Gates, Harvard University professor, author and leader in
the African American community.

 John Wooden, former UCLA Bruins basketball coach who led his team to
ten NCAA championships.

 Sylvia Nasar, author of "A Beautiful Mind" and economist.

They each in turn instruct a young boy, the ``Prodigy'', who acts as a
metaphor for Linux.  It was shown at LinuxWorld, soliciting quite an
applause from the audience.  At this point, IBM employees can see it
over the intranet, but I don't think we're allowed to redistribute it
:-(.  In any case, here is the future location of the public site
(nothing of note is there yet):

ibm.com/open

There is mention of ``Quicktime for Linux'' at this site.  Don't ask
me what that's all about.  Just use MPlayer.  :-)

Mike

--
------------------------------------------- | ---------------------
Michael Halcrow                             | mike@halcrow.us

What's another word for synonym?            |
------------------------------------------- | ---------------------
GnuPG Keyprint:  05B5 08A8 713A 64C1 D35D  2371 2D3C FDDA 3EB6 601D

From mprobst at probst.org  Thu Sep  4 09:09:02 2003
From: mprobst at probst.org (Matthew J. Probst)
Date: Thu Sep  4 09:09:04 2003

Looks like this ad is receiving some mainstream press coverage:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&e=13&u=/nm/media_ibm_advertising_dc

-matt

From mike at halcrow.us  Thu Sep  4 18:09:45 2003
From: mike at halcrow.us (Michael Halcrow)
Date: Thu Sep  4 16:10:47 2003

It's on Slashdot now too.  The ibm.com/open site is up too, with the
commercial.

This would be a good thing to be showing on laptops at the booth.
(After all, I will be owning IBM stock soon.  :-)

This is a clear sign that GNU and Linux have won.

Mike

From mprobst at probst.org  Thu Sep  4 16:56:40 2003
From: mprobst at probst.org (Matthew J. Probst)
Date: Thu Sep  4 16:56:44 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Michael Halcrow wrote:

< snip>
> (After all, I will be owning IBM stock soon.  :-)

Did you hear that everyone?????  Pastor Halcrow from the church of GNU has
shown us that he does not mind benefiting from the collection plate. :)

-matt

From sjansen at byu.edu  Thu Sep  4 18:49:49 2003
From: sjansen at byu.edu (Stuart Jansen)
Date: Thu Sep  4 17:50:32 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 16:56, Matthew J. Probst wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Michael Halcrow wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > (After all, I will be owning IBM stock soon.  :-)
>
> Did you hear that everyone?????  Pastor Halcrow from the church of GNU has
> shown us that he does not mind benefiting from the collection plate. :)

*sigh*

No one ever said that FSF advocates are opposed to being payed for their
work. They merely insist on doing it in ethical ways.

--
Stuart Jansen < sjansen@byu.edu, AIM:StuartMJansen>

Interviewer: What do you think anything[sic] is still missing from
the [Linux] kernel?
Andrew Morton: Groupies!

From bryan.murdock at hp.com  Thu Sep  4 18:13:08 2003
From: bryan.murdock at hp.com (Bryan Murdock)
Date: Thu Sep  4 18:13:42 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 16:49, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> No one ever said that FSF advocates are opposed to being payed for
their work. They merely insist on doing it in ethical ways.

Hmm, so is veiling the touting of the company you work for in shrouds of
Free Software-is-good rhetoric ethical?  I mean, IBM seems to be telling
us Linux is cool, but it's main goal is to sell it's hardware.  It
didn't get that fancy certification for Linux running on just any old
hardware.  Personally I don't think IBM adds should be used by the UUG
to advertise Free Software.  Only Richard Stallman singing the Free
Software Song, and essays off of gnu.org.  I guess you can add some
"multi-media" and use the "Switch Linux" flash movie
(www.ubergeek.tv/switchlinux/) if you must.

:)

Bryan

From mike at halcrow.us  Thu Sep  4 20:34:54 2003
From: mike at halcrow.us (Michael Halcrow)
Date: Thu Sep  4 18:35:53 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:13:08PM -0700, Bryan Murdock wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 16:49, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> > No one ever said that FSF advocates are opposed to being payed for
> their work. They merely insist on doing it in ethical ways.
>
> Hmm, so is veiling the touting of the company you work for in shrouds of
> Free Software-is-good rhetoric ethical?  I mean, IBM seems to be telling
> us Linux is cool, but it's main goal is to sell it's hardware.  It
> didn't get that fancy certification for Linux running on just any old
> hardware.  Personally I don't think IBM adds should be used by the UUG
> to advertise Free Software.

I was about to post a rebuttal, but then I remembered that HP is a
competitor to IBM.  I'm obviously being trolled.  I won't let that
happen.  No-siree.

:-)

Mike

(P.S. - About that whole certification/IBM hardware thing - HELLO?!?!
We had to choose *some* hardware platform; that is part of the
security target!  Why in the world would we choose something other
than our own hardware???  And our code used for the certification is
under the GPL and has been released back to the community.  Just one
minor detail I thought should not go overlooked :-)  Okay, there.  I
got that off my chest.  I will leave the rest alone.

P.P.S. - I speak for myself and not for my employer.

--