From mike at halcrow.us  Fri Nov 14 14:00:40 2003
From: mike at halcrow.us (Michael Halcrow)
Date: Fri Nov 14 13:03:54 2003
Subject: [uug] So You're Kicking Me Out?

I just got an e-mail informing me that I'm going to be kicked out of
the UUG (well, at least its web site), unless I log in by Dec. 1.  I
forgot my username and password, and so it looks like it's curtains
for me.

Now that I think about it, it would probably be best that I move on at
this point anyway.  It's been great knowing you all as a group, and I
have enjoyed the occasional moments of technical inspiration in
between the flame wars.  Many have unsubscribed out of anger and
indignation, but a few of us leave because of the natural course of
life.  There are other forums on which I now need to refocus my
attentions (i.e., ALG, LDSOSS, etc.) now that I am no longer a BYU
student.  Alas, it is the bitter end of all BYU UUG'ers that we
graduate and move on.

Thank you all for your support and comradery.  I shall never forget
many of you.  My life has forever changed because of your influence
(that is no exaggeration!).  A few years down the road, I may
resubscribe to see who's still hanging around here.  In the meantime,
keep up the very good work you are all doing.  Support freedom, use
Debian, and abhore all text editors but that of the sacred EMACS!!

And I hope to see one or two of you in the halls of the IBM LTC some
day.  ;-)

Yours truly,
Mike

                Michael A. Halcrow <mike@halcrow.us>
GnuPG Fingerprint: 05B5 08A8 713A 64C1 D35D  2371 2D3C FDDA 3EB6 601D

Hands-free mobile phones: blurring the distinction between
schizophrenia and technology.

> I just got an e-mail informing me that I'm going to be kicked out of
> the UUG (well, at least its web site), unless I log in by Dec. 1.  I
> forgot my username and password, and so it looks like it's curtains
> for me.

We're just cleaning out the accounts on the webpage. Don't take it
personally. :-)

> Now that I think about it, it would probably be best that I move on at
> this point anyway.  It's been great knowing you all as a group, and I
> have enjoyed the occasional moments of technical inspiration in
> between the flame wars.  Many have unsubscribed out of anger and
> indignation, but a few of us leave because of the natural course of
> life.  There are other forums on which I now need to refocus my
> attentions (i.e., ALG, LDSOSS, etc.) now that I am no longer a BYU
> student.  Alas, it is the bitter end of all BYU UUG'ers that we
> graduate and move on.
>
> Thank you all for your support and comradery.  I shall never forget
> many of you.  My life has forever changed because of your influence
> (that is no exaggeration!).  A few years down the road, I may
> resubscribe to see who's still hanging around here.  In the meantime,
> keep up the very good work you are all doing.  Support freedom, use
> Debian, and abhore all text editors but that of the sacred EMACS!!

We would love for you to stick around, but when you have to go, you have
to go. Who will become the new Stallman of the group?

Thanks for being a member of the club and promoting Free Software here
at BYU.

> And I hope to see one or two of you in the halls of the IBM LTC some
> day.  ;-)

I'll be down there in a week or two. :-)

-Evan

--
       Evan McNabb: <emcnabb@cs.byu.edu> <evan@mcnabbs.org>