From pluglist@plug.org  Wed Apr 14 03:49:59 2004
From: pluglist@plug.org (Evan McNabb)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:49:59 -0600
Subject: Entering the real world...

In two months I'll be done with school and will be entering the "real"
world. I've starting thinking about what I want to do, but there are a
lot of choices to make, so a little advice would be nice.=20

I've been a Unix / Linux sys admin since mid-high school, so I feel like
system administration is my main strength. I enjoy it a lot, but
something new might be nice. In addition to system administration
related jobs, I've also thought about applying for programming,
training, and business related jobs.=20

Some thoughts that have gone through my head include:=20
- Do I want to be a "code monkey"?
- Which fields will be moved overseas first?
- Do I eventually want to move into consulting?
- Should I look at working for a government or university?
- How does the environment at a small company compare to a large company?
- Even though I hate school with a passion, should I do grad school?

I'm not expecting people to answer all these questions (I guess you
could if you want), but this is just the dilemma that myself and many of
my friends are going though. I'm sure most of you have too. :-)

I'm sure there are many programmers, sys admins, and businessmen on the
list. What do you like and dislike about the jobs you have (or have
had) with respect to overall enjoyment, pay, benefits, tedious work,
etc?=20

-Evan

--=20
       Evan McNabb: <emcnabb@cs.byu.edu> <evan@mcnabbs.org>
		     http://evan.mcnabbs.org
             System Administrator, CS Department, BYU
 GnuPG Fingerprint: 53B5 EDCA 5543 A27A E0E1 2B2F 6776 8F9C 6A35 6EA5