From: unt...@best.com (Jason Untulis)
Subject: MacOS 8: What is/was the critical path?
Date: 1996/09/04
content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
organization: Starfleet Headquarters
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc

From lots of rumors and posts, there are lots of pieces of Mac OS 8 that
are close to approaching relatively solid status. But if this was the
case, what would be the part that would be holding everything up?

(When I say MacOS 8, I mean the kernel-based,
what-was-supposed-to-ship-DR/1-weeks/months ago, not what is getting
dribbled out)

Kernel: Supposedly has been (relatively) solid for while. Hard to judge
for a new kernel that hasn't been battle-tested at all, probably even less
than Be's kernel. Is SMP inclusion complicating things?

Low Level I/O/Drivers/HAL: The DDK seems the only part of OS 8 that is
still getting out to developers in updates. Is that a good thing?
Certainly lots of people working on 7.5 on PPCP that weren't originally
going to be there. Maybe more clone effory as well?

File System: Supposedly has been solid for a while. Doesn't explain the
massive corruption of disks under DR/0. (This is the only piece I have
secondhand.) Maybe caused by bad emulation of Finder, other old API code?

Open Transport 2: I imagine there's a good chunk of work done already,
since it was already planned for parallel development of some flavor, but
that manpower is being drained by 1.1.1 and 1.5.

LiveObjects/OpenDoc: Sounds like a lot more is happening these days in 7.x
optimization, not in OS 8 movement, possibly because of inclusion in a 7.x
reference first.

Appearance Manager/HIObjects: Been the thing everyone has said is
done/solid/in the can/finito. Parts will be moved into the Jul 97
reference.

(partially) unified QuickDraw: Haven't heard a peep about this

Blue Box: The big mystery and what seems like the hardest job. Are the big
parts farmed out the respective groups (file system group is responsible
for old File Manager API remapping, networking group gets the deprecated
OT interfaces, etc.) or is it one monolithic chunk o'people?

Everything else (AppleScript, all Help, QT, Workspace Manager, etc.):
Don't seem like things that would hold up DR/1 or would push a
kernel-based release out of Apple's stated/speculated schedule.

Integration: Everyone forgets this. Maybe this is the real killer. Getting
all the parts to actually work together and not in isolation. Apparently a
lot of early integration is happening now...

What am I forgetting/misrepresenting?

I'd love to see a PERT chart... 8-)

--
Jason Untulis, Ravenous Media Consumer     /\    /        unt...@netcom.com